chapter eight

I hear a deafening ringing in my ears. I reach my hands up and apply pressure to my temples before feeling a sharp pain shoot down the side of my face, then I remember.

"Shit" I mutter, sitting up and opening my eyes. I realize I'm at John's, in his room. I get off the bed and walk toward the mirror, taking in my reflection.

It doesn't look as bad as it feels. The blood is gone and the gash is now covered with a huge bandaid. The left side of my face from my cheekbone to my hairline is left a deep purple, due to a bruise.

I sigh and make my way out of his room, into the kitchen. I open the fridge and take out a water bottle, then turn and open the medicine cabinet and take Advil to help alleviate the pain.

I swallow the Advil and turn around, making my way out to the living room, still not seeing anyone. I look around, confused as to why no one is on the house, and how I ended up here. I don't remember anything after I got back into the car after hitting my head.

I look outside, and realize it's dark out, meaning it's still night time. Then I see them, at the end of the dock, so I make my way out to them to figure out what's going on.

"V?" I hear John question as I open the porch door. I wave up to him and the others, getting closer. I take a seat next to Pope on the wooden bench, by JJ's feet and send a warm smile up to him.

"So.." Pope says.

I look over to him, confused, "so...?" I say back.

"How are you feeling?" Pope says.

"And what the hell even happened?" John adds in. "One second we think you're just asleep in the car, and next thing I know JJ's freaking out yelling about how you-"

"Okay, dude. I was not freaking out."

"Yeah, you were."

"Definitely freaked out."

"Pretty sure I saw you crying."

I laugh at the group, finding comfort in their banter. "I don't really remember much." I say, cutting them off and taking another sip of water. "I remember falling and hitting my head, then feeling blood drip, then getting in the car. I remember JJ was talking to me but I don't remember anything he said. Next thing I know I'm waking up here." I shrug. They all nod hesitantly.

"What time is it?" I ask, wondering how long I was out for.

"2 am." John responds. "But we didn't just leave you passed out. You woke back up in the car, said you were fine and just wanted to sleep. So we let you, and brought you inside once we got home."

"I do not remember that at all." I say.

"Mmm, that can't be good." JJ says, shaking his head. "John I told you we should take her to the hospital!" He starts, John retaliates, but I tune them out. I press my hands to my temple again, their loud voices cause my head to throb.

"Can you two stop?" Pope says, "We've been over this a hundred times. JJ, John gives a shit,  obviously, stop say he doesn't. You know that can't be farther from the truth." He says, putting a hand to JJ's chest and pushing him away, out of John's face. "And John, JJ's not obsessed with V. He's worried like the rest of us. We all thought she needed the ER. But, you were right. It's better to not take her."

"Guys I'm fine. I'm awake, it's all good" I say, not liking seeing JJ and John get into it over something as stupid as me hitting my head. "I've had concussions before, I'm sure that's all it is." I say, smiling at John, hoping he doesn't feel guilty. I'm happy they didn't take me to the hospital. I have no insurance. Plus the DCS isn't only after John, I'm supposed to be with my aunt back in Pennsylvania. If I end up in a hospital they'll know I'm down here, then come get me and bring me back home.