chapter twenty four

-not edited-

"Okay" John spoke in a whisper, all of us crouched down in a semi-circle, ready to hear his plan. "We need to look for the wheat near the water like it said in Denmark's letter."

"What kind of water?" Pope questions, "Like, pond water?"

I hear JJ chuckle from beside me, "bong water?"

Everyone turns to give him a questionable look, almost non-verbally asking if he really just asked that. I held in my laugh as John spoke back up.

"No- look- it just said look for water. Okay?"

"That's the shittiest secret message ever." Kie states, before continuing her walk towards the house.

"You wanna complain a little more, Kie? Nobody said it was gonna be easy."

"John!" I whisper-yell, alerting him to back off Kie. He gives me a small smile as a sort of apology, before following after her.

"I'll search the northeast quadrant,"Pope tells JJ and I, "you two search the northwest"

"The decapitation quadrant!" JJ argues.

I chuckle at him, grabbing his forearm, "Come on, J. We will be fine."

JJ and I walk around for a little, not really sure what we were looking for. JJ was constantly trying to distract me, obviously not caring much about the search at hand.

We saw the rest of the group making their way into the house, so we followed behind, making our way into the basement.

"Down came Mrs. Craine and cut off all our heads-"

"JJ" I laughed, "stop joking around."

"Up came the sun and dried up all the blood" he taunted, continuing the song.

"Can you stop." Pope spoke sternly, pointing his flashlight right at JJ's face, making him shut up.

Pope turned back around, walking farther into the house.

I slapped JJ's shoulder, "Now you've pissed Pope off. Good going, J." I joked.

"As long as you're not mad at me" He jokes back, sending me a wink.

"John's literally 20 feet away. Stop it!" I whisper yelled, holding in my grin.

We all inspect the basement, looking for any sign of water.

"I literally don't see a single drop of water." I tell JJ.

"There's not even water on the pipes." He adds, rubbing his hands along the pipes.

Wow. Who knew hands could be attractive.

"There's no water here." Pope deadpans.

"Not a dropamino."JJ sings.

"Know why we didn't find it?" Kie asks, tone present in her voice has she turns to John. "Bad Karma."

"Oh, God." John rolls his eyes. "Here we go."

"You know, we had a good thing going." Kie says, getting up in John's face. "Then you have to rope in Barbie, and now the trails gone dry. Coincidence? Probably not."