chapter sixteen

I woke up alone, in a cold bed that seemed ten times bigger without JJ next to me. When I rolled over to where he was, I felt a paper crumble under me. I smiled at it, once I noticed it was a note from JJ.

Had to go get Heywards boat with Pope.

JJ

I laughed to myself at the simplicity of it. That was JJ for you - right to the point. However, JJ never cared to tell us where he was. We all just figured eventually he'd show up - he always did. I found myself blushing at the fact he thought of me before leaving and that wanted me to know where he was, even if it was a stupid little note.

I stretched, cracking my back before standing up and walking outside to be met with the strong North Carolinian sun.

"Morning, V!" Kie said, looking at me through her sunglasses.

"Hey Kie! Hey John!" I greeted back, sitting on the hammock with Kie. "Where are Pope and JJ?" I asked, figuring it's best if I play dumb. I didn't exactly want John to know JJ slept in my room with me and left me a note - a very non-JJ thing to do. I feel like if John knew that, eventually he'd pester me enough, then get all of last night's events out of me.

"Went to get Heywards boat." John answers for Kie, "It's a bigger boat so it'll be safer to take out into open water." He explained.

I nodded my head and relaxed onto the hammock, now enjoying the sun's rays. I let my eyes close and thought back to last night.

I was happy. That was really the only word for it. I was surprised I wasn't scared of my feelings. I trusted JJ, I knew he wouldn't hurt me.

A few minutes later, the boys pulled up to the dock in Heyward's boat. We grabbed the ROV and hopped in the boat. JJ held his hand out for me, helping me in.

To everyone else this looked normal, but the action made me blush and instantly gave me butterflies. When I step into the boat, he doesn't let go of my hand. He holds it as he walks us to the back of the boat. I sit on the bench and he put a foot on it, looking out into the water. I rest my head on the flagpole and look up at him, taking in his appearance.

The rest of the group are inside the wheelhouse, the cabin-like part of the boat with the wheel, probably because it's air conditioned. But I don't care, I'd rather spend time with JJ while I can, without John being suspicious.

"What are you looking at, babe?" JJ questions, noticing me staring.

"You" I smile.

"Well, I can't blame you for that." He jokes, causing us both to laugh.

"Yo, JJ!" I hear John call, making his way over to us.

"Hey, JB." JJ greets back, doing their little handshake the four of them always did.

"Pope told me about Rose, dude. 100 bucks?" John jokes, slapping his shoulder in a congratulatory way. JJ catches my eye and instantly looks uncomfortable.

I furrow my eyebrows, confused at the interaction. I put my focus on my rings, moving them around on my fingers, trying to tune their conversation out.

I hear JJ laugh awkwardly, mustering a "yeah, dude, it was crazy."

"How'd you even manage to get that, bro? Did she come onto you first?" I feel my stomach drop.

"Yeah," JJ laughs, "Honestly don't know how it happened, bro. Once second I'm carrying groceries in, next second I'm in her bed." He laughs, causing John to laugh to.

I feel my stomach drop.

He was delivering groceries.

This was yesterday.