chapter ten

When I wake up JJ is no longer in my bed. I knew it was too good to be true. People watch you all apart, and then leave after the damage is done, not caring to help you clean it up.

I sigh loudly and sit up in bed. I run my hands down my face and get up to walk toward the bathroom, to wash my face and brush my teeth.

Before I reach for the handle, the door pulls itself back, revealing a wet-haired JJ with a towel wrapped around his waist.

My eyes go wide, "what the f—"

"Morning to you too, Enna." He greets, smirking down at me, then walking past me back into the room.

"I thought you left." I say in a small voice, turning around and watching him look around my room.

"I told you I'd stay as long as you needed me, I meant it." He responds.

I nod and turn away before he can see the smile that's arising on my face. I let the smile take me over as I close the bathroom door, feeling
a sense of euphoria take over my body at the fact that the boy kept his promise.

I quickly pull myself together, though. Knowing this most likely wouldn't last.

I decided on showering as well. By the time I came back downstairs JJ was in the kitchen. He wore a pair of my oversized sweatpants, letting them hang lowly on his hips so that they actually went down to his ankles. His hair was messy and still a little wet. He had his back to me, standing over the stove.

"Hey, JJ." I greet, pulling a water bottle from the fridge and take a seat at the kitchen table.

"Morning, V. How we feeling?" He says, still keeping his back to me. I watch as he moves his arms, his back muscles tensing with every move.

I let out a long exhale, "Better." I respond, not really in the mood to talk about it.

"Good." He says, turning around with a pan of scrambled eggs in it. He starts separating them onto two plates. One with a significantly bigger pile of eggs on it. "I get more because I made them." He says, noticing my stare.

I roll my eyes at him, but can't fight back the smile that creeps it's way onto my lips. I'm happy we're acting normal. I was afraid things would be awkward after my breakdown and our moment last night.

"Didn't know you could cook." I say, spooning the eggs into my mouth.

"I can't." He laughs a little, "all I know how to make is eggs. I call it the JJ specialty." I laugh with him.

The energy at the table is relaxing. I don't know where JJ and I stand. Last night left a few lines blurred.

Though, I knew no matter my feelings, I could never act on them. John mattered more than any other relationship, especially one with a person I met a little over a week ago.

We finish eating and I take our empty plates and put them into the dishwasher. I sit on the couch, deciding how to occupy my time as I wait for John to come back. It's only 8 am, they usually wake up in the late afternoon so it will be awhile. I'm honestly surprised JJ is awake.

"Enna, I have a question and don't get mad." JJ says, sitting next to me.

"Oh no, JJ." I sigh, "what?" I ask, almost scared of his question.

"Can you show me your songs?" He says, wincing, like he's expecting me to lash out. "Please! I won't make fun or judge I promise. I just am really curious. John B always said you were good but I didn't know if—"