chapter seven

After a while, Pope showed back up at John's. We waited about another hour and a half for Kie, but she never showed and the sun was starting to set. So, Pope suggested we should just stop by The Wreck and get her on the way to the graveyard.

John pulls the van into the lot, putting it in park.

JJ is up front with John, with Pope and I in the back. When the van comes to a stop, Pope hops out and goes to get Kiara.

"So you two were alone all afternoon then?" John speaks up.  I roll my eyes, knowing where this is heading. I knew at some point he'd show his 'overprotective big brother' side again. I avoid John's look that I know he's sending me in the review, instead looking at my hands and fiddling with my rings, wanting to avoid the whole awkward accusation that's about to take place.

"Well?"

"Chill dude, nothing even happened." JJ says, "Yes. I went back to Vienna's. But only because my dad was home, bro." His sentence makes me feel nauseous, somewhat confirming my suspicions I made earlier in the day.

"Vienna sat on the deck the whole time and I was inside eating, then I smoked a little and took a nap. We didn't even see each other."

"Is that the truth, V?"

I scoff, annoyed at him for not trusting JJ and thinking the worst of a both, "Yes, it's true, John. What do you think? I saw you get arrested then took your best friend home and fucked him? Is that what you're insinuating?" I respond, annoyed. JJ chuckles at my response, then pushes his tongue into his cheek to stop himself.

"Watch it, V." John warns, "I'm just looking out for you, you don't know the rules."

"Rules?" I question.

"She says she's not coming!" Pope interrupts, coming back to the car.

"Why not?" JJ asks, looking at Pope who raises his eyebrows and motions toward John.

"What'd you do to her, John B?" JJ says, now turning his attention to John.

"Shit." John says, slamming his hands against the wheel and shifts his weight uncomfortably, keeping his eyes on the door of The Wreck, like he was expecting Kie to walk out still.

"I'll deal with it." He says, unbuckling his seatbelt and storming inside.

"They kissed." Pope speaks up, the second the door shuts behind John. "John and Kiara."

"What?" JJ asks, looking amused. "Dude, I didn't think he'd actually listen to me." He chuckles, taking a hit off his juul.

I notice Pope's mood has dropped, and place a hand on his shoulder before asking, "you okay, Pope?" Drawing JJ's attention back to us accidentally, he stares at my hand on Popes shoulder, so I draw it back, not wanting to cross a line. JJ opens his car door, and comes back with Pope and I, sitting between us.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, it's just the rules you know?"

I shake my head at him. Hearing the mention of rules for the second time in the last five minutes had made my curiosity grow. "What rules?" I ask, wanting clarification

"No pouge on pouge macking." JJ clarifies.

"I'm sorry, what's a pouge?" I question, even more confused.

"The ones who live on the Cut. The working class. The people who make a livings bussing tables, washing yachts, and running charters." JJ answers my question. "Us." He shrugs.

"The kooks are the opposite. They're the ones with two houses and trust funds." Pope adds.

"John B came up with the whole rule system. You know, no lies amongst the pouges, no pouge on pouge macking, never leave a pouge behind." Pope lists off.