chapter nineteen

-not edited-
I knock at the door, hoping it would be Rafe who answered. To my dismay it wasn't. It was a young girl with curly black hair.

"Who are you?" She speaks, standing in the door way, looking me up and down.

"Is Rafe here? I say, ignoring her question.

"Why would you want Rafe?" She questions, which I again ignore, waiting for her to answer my question.

"Yeah he's here. Bedroom, upstairs fifth door on the right." She says, opening the door farther.

"You're pretty, he's not." She comments as I walk away. I laugh a little at her remark.

I make my way to the door, knocking.

"Who is it?" I hear him.

"It's V."

I hear him shuffle and I watch the door open seconds later. He's stood in a pair of sweatpants and a SnapBack, shirtless. If I wasn't as stressed, I think I would combust at the sight of this. 

"V? What are you- why are you-"

"Can I come in?" I say, cutting off his ramble.

"Sure, yeah." 

I sit on his bed, taking a deep breath.

"Rafe I have a huge favor to ask. You can say no, but I have to ask."

"Okay? What's wrong, Vienna. Has something happened?"

"Can you bail JJ out of jail?"

He scoffs, "Vienna, come on. Anything other than that. Literally."

"Rafe please! He doesn't have any one. He's in there for Topper's boat. You know it wasn't him." I leave out the part where he took the blame, hoping Rafe would assume they got the wrong guy, and agree.

"Vienna,"

"Rafe, please! Please." I beg

"I thought you weren't friends." He questions.

"We're not. This is for John, hes my only family, Rafe. And he's all JJ has." I lower my volume, not wanting to admit the next part, " I have to try, Rafe. John's missing."

"JJ is dangerous, Vienna. He belongs in jail."

"But Rafe, you know he didn't do this. You know it isn't right."

I watch Rafe silently debate with himself.

I walk up to him, hugging him. "I promise to help you." I say into his chest, "just help me with this one thing."

He sighs, setting his chin on my head. "Fine, but this will never happen again. And you need to stay away from these people. They're bad. This proves it."

I ignore his comment, quickly kissing his cheek as a thank you. That's the Rafe I remember. Caring, behind closed doors. Not the money and reputation obsessed Rafe I've seen recently. The Rafe I knew was a good person, I knew that side was still in there. It's sad to see how much a year changed him.

"Let's go-" I start.

"Wait, Vienna. I have a question." He says grabbing my arm.

"Ask me there." I say, trying to get the the station quick.

"No, V, just listen" he laughs a little. "Midsummers is soon, tomorrow, actually." He smirks, "Would you want to be my date?"

I stare at him, shocked by his invite.

"It doesn't have to be an actual date, but it's important to my family. They want Sarah and I to both walk in with dates. I don't want anyone else. Plus, you can help me stay away from drugs for the night, I know they'll be there, but I can't."