Ache

"So when where you gonna tell me you got a job?" I asked on the drive back.

My doctor had broke down every little detail for Caleb and I. She even told us that if we did decide to have sex, the baby wouldn't be affected by it in anyway. That conversation had been beyond awkward as we both assured her that I wasn't "active", at least not with Caleb anyway. But I didn't say that last part out loud. The last thing I wanted Caleb to know was that his ex best friend and I were sleeping together while I was pregnant with his kid. Ugh! My life was so friggin screwed.

Caleb gave me a side glance before returning his eyes to the road. "I've had a job for a while now." He sighed.

Somehow, I was a little hurt that he hadn't told me. He was the first person I ran to tell.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked quietly.

He shrugged, a look that said he wasn't in the mood to explain anything on his face. "I didn't feel like it was that big of a deal." He sighed.

"Well it is to me Caleb. You knowhow I feel about things like that right now." I crossed my arms, unable to stop myself from going into pout mode.

He dragged a hand down the front of his face. "I'm sorry Tabitha, I should have told you."

I frowned, able to tell straight away that he was annoyed with me. "Caleb, I don't want to be right. I just feel like we should tell each other these things." I mumbled. I hated when we got to moments like these.

He nodded. "Sure, if that's what you want. But remember, you brought this up."

I held my eyes on him. His jaw was squared and his hands gripped the steering wheel slightly. I still hadn't forgotten about earlier. "What's your deal Caleb?"

"I'm fine Tabitha." He sighed.

"You're lying." I said bluntly.

It wasn't too often that Caleb and I got mad at each other, but right now, he was annoyed with me, and I was irratated with him. What made things worse was that we could read each other so easily.

"Look, I just don't think I should have come today." He sighed heavily.

"What are you trying to say Caleb? I never asked you to come." I bit.

He rolled his neck around and groaned. "I know that. But I just...don't think-"

"What, you didn't want to see your kid?!" I ephmasised the fact that it was his baby.

"Did I say that? Geez, of course I want to it's just-"

"Is it finally setting in on you, are you starting to realize that this is happening?! Well guess what, it is! And if you want to be a coward, go right ahead, I can do it without you, I don't need you!" It hurt even me to say, I could feel the tears in my eyes.

"Are you fucking kidding?! Really Tabitha!" It wasn't too often that Caleb sweared, so I knew he was livid. "How could you even say that?! I've been here for you the entire time! Even when you were scared I was right there! But I freak out for one moment and you flip?!"

"I didn't ask you to come Caleb! So you know what, just don't come! Hell, stay away from me damnit!" My head hurt and I couldn't see through my tears. I wasn't even sure how we had gotten to this point.

Caleb had pulled into his driveway and shut the engine off. "Is that really how you feel?" His expression was hard, but his eyes were hurt. To someone that didn't know him as well would only see his anger. But I could see that he was hurting, everything about him said he was breaking.

I gritted my teeth and turned away from him. "I'm going home."

I didn't break down until I got inside. What was happening to us? Why was there hurt around every corner now? I could barely breath as I cried.

"Tab, honey is that you?" I heard my dad's footsteps echoing down the hall. I hadn't realized that he was home.

I tried to compose myself, but only failed. "U-uh, yeah dad...it's me."

He came around the corner in his suit shirt and dress pants, he was getting ready for work. "Hey, what happend, why are you crying?" He wrapped me into his arms and tried to calm my crying.

"D-dad...I'm s-sorry." I cried.

"Sorry for what? Tabitha, look at me, what'swrong hun?"

I wiped at my eyes, still crying. "Daddy, I'm...I'm pregnant."

His arms squeezed me a little. "What, again? Tabitha how could you be so reckless again?" He said sadly.

I shook my head. "It's the same baby." I whispered.

"But, but...I thought you lost it?" I couldn't read his voice or expression.

"It was false." I was no longer hypervenihlating, but I was still crying.

For a moment, he was quiet. "I don't get it, I thought you were upset because you lost it. Now you're upset because you didn't?" He was trying to understand.

I shook my head, knowing he wouldn't understand. "No dae, it's not that, can I just go to my room please?" My voice was tired and exasperated.

"Hun, we need to talk about this." He pulled me over towards the living room and sat me down. "Look at me love, tell me what's going through your head." He prompted gently. His work skills were kicking in.

I wiped at my eyes. "I don't know. All of this is just too much." I sniffed.

"What, the baby?" He asked.

"Not entirely." I shook my head.

"How far along are you?"

"Eleven and a half." I mumbled.

"Tabitha, whatever's bothering you, you can tell me. I won't be upset." He said softly.

I shook my head. "Dad, I just don't think I can." Somehow, I didn't think my dad would take it all that well if he found out that Caleb was the one who got me pregnant. It would probably be worse then what it would have been if it was someone he didn't love and trust as much as he did Caleb.

He sighed a little. "Tabitha love, what are we going to do with another baby?" He rested his face in his hands. I could tell he was worn out and tired, and really just needed a break.

"No dad, what am I going to do with a baby." I corrected. "This isn't your responsibilty dad." This was exactly what I wanted to avoid.

"It is Tabitha, because you are my responsibility, you are still just a child." He huffed.

"Right, I'm your kid, and this is my kid. Daddy, I don't want to put this on you. Me and...the baby's father can do it. I know we can." My heart ached as I thought about Caleb and I.

"Who is this father anyway?" He half sneered.

I chewed my bottom lip. "Dad-"

"Please, just tell me Tabitha McKenzie." He was becoming upset.

"I will dad," I brushed the hair from my face. "Just, now is...not the best of times." I sighed as I stood up. "Can I go now?"

He nodded, a sick look on his face. "Yes, but we'll finish this tomorrow."

I nodded and disapperead into the confines of my bedroom. I felt like a slight weight had been lifted off my shoulders now that my dad knew the truth.

One down, a hell of a lot more heart ache to go.

******