On the clock

Last night, I had probably got about three hours total of sleep. For one, I had to pee every five minutes, and two, I was undeniably anxious about going to work this morning.

I realized the flaws in getting hired on the spot: One, I had no idea of what to expect, even if it was just at a gas station store. Two, I had no idea if I had a certain uniform to wear. And three, because I had no idea if I had a uniform, or unkform colors to wear,I had no idea as to what I should wear. In the end, I settled on a plain black v neck and a pair of dark jeans.

I was starting to realize a slight, barely noticeble budge around my abdomen area. I don't know how I jadn't noticed it before, I mean, I was eleven weeks amd it didn't just happen over night. I groaned internally, time to break the news was dwindling quickly. Leave it to me and I wouldn't tell anyone until the day I brought my baby home.

After eating a pack of peanut butter crackers, trail mix, and four granola bars, blame the baby, I left a little note reminding dad that I had to be to work at ten. When I told him last night that I had got a job, he looked somewhat surprised, and then proud.

"She's growing up." He smiled.

It was at least twenty degrees out when I stepped outside. As they had predicted, a thin blanket of stark white snow covered the earth in a protective blanket. Thankfully, my dad had thought to put chains on both our cars.

"It's cold out here isn't it." I mumbled to my belly. Talking to it was something I had just picked up on recently. It wasn't like I expected to get an answer, but I felt like we had an understanding of each other, my baby and I.

The ride back to the gas station seemed much longer this time around. Maybe it was just the nerves. When I pulled into the parking lot, I drove around back and shut the engine off, collecting my thoughts in silence for a moment.

The moment I stepped in the door, I was greeted by the fresh smell of coffe beans and vanilla. The inside was nice amd clean, the walls a warm tan color and all the appliances brand new.

I walked towards the counter, not really knowing where to go, to only find a tired looking girl there in the place of McHottie.

I cleared my throat nervously. The girl looked up at me with a bored look on her face.

"Can I help you?" She said blandly. Her hair was pulled into a high knot on her head, pulling her eyes back and making her look a little cat like.

"Um...I'm here to-"

"You're late." The moment I saw him my heart jumped. He was just too gorgeous. His hair was wet and he had on a plain white v-neck, yet he was beyond sexy. I chided myself for looking at him lik that.

I checked my watch. "But it's 10 on the dot." I defended.

He chuckled witha roll of his eyes. "If you're on time, you're late. If you're early, you're on time. Now if you're late," he cocked a brow and gave me a look mixed with a breathtaking smile. "You're fired."

I gulped, pretty sure there were beads of persperation on the back of my neck. He seemd pretty serious to me.

"U-um, okay?"

He laughed, surprisingly chiper for so early in the day. "I'm kidding, but that look on your face," he shook his head. "Priceless."

I felt my eyes roll. "So, um what exactly will I be doing?"

He came from around the back and stood right in front of me. I realized he was a lot taller then I had orginally thought. He was a mere centimeter shorter then Caleb.

"You, my friend," he rested his hands on both my shoulders. "Will be my assistant."

I raised a brow. "Assistant? Since when do gas station clerks have assistance?"