Morning After

The sun came in bright through a slither of the curtain, but it was enough to wake me up. It was still early, the clock only read just after seven in the morning.

I was sore, and for the life of me I couldn't understand why. Caleb was on his stomach with both arms under the pillow facing away from me. A slightly pink bruise trailed faintly down his side. And that's when it all came back.

My cheeks set ablaze instantly as I covered my mouth with a hand. I pulled the cover tightly around my nude body.

What was wrong with me? Did I really just sleep with my best friend? The soreness and slight pain within in me told me yes.

"Crap." I let a stupid tear fall down the side of my cheek. This was going to ruin everything. It was going to ruin Amber and I, Amber and Caleb. Josh and I, Josh and Caleb. And most importantly, Caleb and I. How would our friendship survive this? What would our parents think? They trusted us up here alone, and we'd just ruined it.

I shut my eyes and began to cry. This wasn't how my first time was suppose to be. I wanted it to be with someone I loved. And though I loved Caleb with all my heart, he was with someone else. I was technically the other girl. The one who, in the end, didn't even get the guy.

Caleb stirred before sitting his head up groggily. "What's wr-" Realization dawned on his face before he even finished his sentence.

"Oh god, Tabitha. Shit." He sat forward and brushed the hair from my face. I stiffened the moment he touched me. "I am so sorry, I should not have let that happen."

I shook my head, not wanting to hear it. It was my fault too, not just his. I pulled the sheet from the bed and wrapped it around me, making my way towards the bathroom.I shut the door and leaned against it.

You idiot Tabitha Long! Why would you sleep with your best friend?!

"Tabitha." He knocked on the door. "Come on, let me in, we need to talk about this."

"Letting you in is what got us here!" I cried.

"Tabitha." He said desperately.

I opened the door an inch. "Go away Caleb. I'm too embarrassed to talk to you." I whispered.

He ignored me and pushed through. "Tabitha,"

"No Caleb, please, I, I can't." He only had his boxers on, I couldn't bring my self to look at him, I only saw a slither oh his body, yet memories of last night came rushing back. His touch, his kisses, the feel of him. I cried harder, not because I was ashamed, but because I had liked it.

"Tabitha, calm down love, you're almost choking yourself." He rubbed my back small soothing circles.

"What did we do Caleb?" I cried. He was silent. "Why would we do that? What about Amber, and Josh, and our parents!? Oh god!" I cried.

"Tabitha listen to me. What we did is done okay? We can't take it back."

"Don't you think I know that Caleb?! Damnit!"

He followed me back into the room and then down the stairs. I pulled the cover through the cold cabin with me.

"Tabitha calm down."

"Calm down?! Do you honestly not care about the fact that you've just cheated on your girlfriend of eight months?!"

He caught me by my hand and pulled me to a halt. "Tabitha, of course I do. But we have to calm down and talk about this." His eyes were sad. "I mean, forget the facts of our circumstances right now, did you really hate it that much?"

The look on his face almost broke my heart. I sighed, sniffling a little. My eyes found their way towards the floor as I couldn't find the guts to look at him.