c h a p t e r 5 ~ the room

"I need to go, I'll be in my room if you need me."

All a sudden Flynn walked into the studio crying, "Carlos told me you two would be out here. Julie you and I need to talk, Jess you can stay too." She said, "Are you okay?" Julie asked, "No, I'm not okay! You just got kicked out of music! I've been up all night thinking about what I was gonna say. Might've drank seven sodas."

"Flynn..." I started, I was definitely the mom of this group. "Let me finish Jess, I need to get this out." Flynn said, "Wait I have something to tell you." Julie said, Flynn shook her head, "No, it's my turn to talk. You can't give up music. Your music's like a gift, that would be a tragedy. So, you're basically, like, canceling Christmas, and I love Christmas!"

"Flynn." Julie started but was cut off by Flynn, "When we were 6 and Jess was 8 we promised to be in a band together. Triple threat." "We never agreed to that name." I told Flynn and Julie nodded, "That's not the point. Jules, if you leave the music program, we'll be apart forever. That's just what happens. Sure we'll see each other in the hall sometime, but... we'll have different lives make new friends." Flynn was telling Julie and I wasn't gonna interrupt her while her seven sodas kicked in.

"That's not true." Julie told her, Flynn nodded, "You're right. I won't be making any new friends. The only time we'll contact each other is when we'll be liking each other's posts on Instagram. And every time I'll be hitting that little heart, my heart will be breaking because one of my best friends left me, and... Do you have any soda my head hurts?"

"Can I talk now?" Julie asked, Flynn, looked at her, "Fine." "I just played the piano and sang again." Julie told her, "What? Why didn't you just say so?" Flynn asked.

I looked at her, "She was trying, but your seven sodas kicked in." She smiled at me and then looked to Julie, "I'm so happy for you! And me! Look at you, looking all, I don't know, alive again." Flynn told her, Julie smiled, "Right? It's like I drank seven sodas."

"What made you play again?" Flynn asked, "I found this song my mom wrote for Jess and me." Julie told her. Flynn looked at the music, "Woah." "I know. I was so afraid to play it. Anything involving music reminds me of her. And then I woke up this morning.... realizing that's why I should play it. To keep her memory alive." Julie told her.

"Aww! Come here you two." Flynn gave us both a hug a quickly pulled away, "We need to tell Mrs. Harrison you can play so you can stay in school and my life won't be that sad picture I just painted for you. My girls back. Triple threat lives again!"

"That's not our band name." I said with a chuckle, she smiled at me, "I gave you two tee-shirts in the 7th grade that says otherwise."

We walked out and saw the boys, I smiled at them knowing I couldn't talk to them, "Oh hey!" Julie said, then she realized Flynn was looking at her funny, "Let's hustle?" she played it off. "Don't worry we weren't listening." Reggie told us. Julie waved at them but Flynn caught her.

"Let's go!" I said as we left and got into my car. The car ride to school was filled with us jamming out to Taylor Swift and then we got to school and ran to the music room.

"Julie played again." Flynn told Mrs. Harrison, I nodded, "Can you please let her back in?" I asked, she started explaining to us, "Believe me Julie I think it's wonderful that you sang again. I prayed for this moment for almost a year. But it's too late."

"What if you just hear her play? You know she's amazing." Flynn told her, "It wouldn't matter, a new student starts tomorrow. There's only...." Mrs. Harrison was cut off by Julie, "So many spots, and if I don't participate, I'm out. I know."

"I did everything thing I could to keep you here this year, but principle Lessa was very clear that yesterday was your last chance. You'll have to reapply next semester. I'm truly sorry." Mrs. Harrison told us, we sighed at went to our next classes, the rest of the day was a blur.

I had strength and conditioning after school today, but that went by in a blur also, Julie again did her work. After we rode home in a silent car. I changed when we got home.

(Outfit below)

We went to Julies room to talk after I changed, we saw the boys in there, "What are you doing in my room?" Asked Julie, Luke looked at her wide-eyed, "We were looking for the kitchen

We went to Julies room to talk after I changed, we saw the boys in there, "What are you doing in my room?" Asked Julie, Luke looked at her wide-eyed, "We were looking for the kitchen." Julie pointed a finger at them, "This... this can't happen. It's creepy. Get off my bed please."

I couldn't help but worry that they were in my room earlier. I had started writing a song about Reggie and I didn't want them to see it, at least not yet. I also knew that I wasn't gonna do too much talking because this isn't my place to get mad at the boys, it's Julie's.

"Hey, Julie. What's in the box?" Luke asked. "That's off-limits." She told him. "Oh, okay. Girl stuff." He said and I let out a laugh, "Oh, like butterflies and glitter?" Reggie asked, I went over and slapped his shoulder.

"Oh, come on. I'm sorry about them." Alex told her, she looked at them, "It's none of your business, and yes there might be some glitter."

Alex picked up the picture of Julie mom and me, "Hey... I actually i picked something up. I dropped it." He said as the picture landed in the bed, "Is that your mom?" Luke asked, Julie walked over to grab it, "Yes and it's my favorite picture of the three of us. You break it, I'll break you."

"Okay, well, sorry because we're kind of unbreakable at this point." Alex told her, "I don't get it, you guys can mess up my bed, pick up your instruments, but you can't pick up other stuff?" Julie questioned.

"I know right. It's hard but for some reason our instruments, easy." Luke told her. "Yeah, like super easy. Oh and check out what I learned today." Reggie said standing up, his bass appeared and made him fall onto Julies seat at the end of her bed.

I burst out laughing, "Yeah that looked super easy." I said as I went over and helped him up he gave me his goofy grin that I love so much and his gorgeous green eyes. I could feel our gaze and it was something I've never felt before. I felt something in my stomach again. but this time I didn't mind it.

"Jess?" My dad asked, "Oh sorry I was just zoned out." I said breaking Reggie and I's gaze. "Alright I'll be downstairs." He told us then left.

"Your dad seems like the kinda guy who likes to barbecue. I bet he has a great ribs recipe." Reggie said, I laughed and Alex gave me a look saying he wants to talk later, I nodded his way.

"I don't know. But if you guys wanna talk to me, we have to do it in the studio. He's worried about me enough as it is." Julie told them, Luke looked at her, "He seems chill. You should just tell him about us."

Julie gave him an annoyed look, "You're kidding, right? This past year, everyone's been watching over me, being super nice, as if they're waiting for me to snap. If I tell my dad I met a ghost band. I'll be back to talking to Dr. Turner three days a week."

I felt my whole body tense up, of course, she would go back to Dr. Turner, I never even got to go in the first place. And of course, everyone is watching over her and not me. It's because no one knew me, no one knew I was broken, they didn't even care to ask if I was okay. It was always Julie, Julie this, Julie that. I love her but I need attention too, I need to feel loved too.

I felt tears welling up in my eyes, "I need to go, I'll be in my room if you need me." I said as I left Julie's room in tears.