c h a p t e r 1 7 ~ the aftermath

"Yeah, it's gonna get better Jess I promise."

I ran into the cafeteria to see Julie Ricky and Flynn. They looked up to see me crying. "What happened?" Ricky asked rushing to my side.

"Reg-Reg..... Reggie and I-I..... we... b-b-b-broke up." I stuttered out through my sobs. "Oh my gosh Jess! It's going to be okay." Flynn told me running over and hugging me. Julie came over and hugged me too. "Flynn, I just want to be alone tonight." I told her.

She nodded, "That's fine Jess." I looked at Ricky, "Can you drop off Julie and Flynn and then bring me home?" I asked. He nodded, "Sure thing." On the way to Flynn's house it was silent. Well except for my sobs.

We got to Flynn's house and dropped them off and drove away. "Can you give me a ride to school tomorrow?" I asked as my tears momentarily stopped. "Yeah... of course, Jess. Can I just ask what happened?" I nodded, "He was with another girl." I told him and then started to cry again. Ricky tensed up, "Jess.... you can spend the night at my place if you want." We started to near my house. "No, I just need to be alone. See you tomorrow." I said as he pulled into my driveway. "See you tomorrow."

I walked into the house and I heard my dad, "Jess? How was the dance? Julie said she was going to Flynn's-" He stopped talking as he saw me standing with mascara running down my face and tears coming out at a rapid rate. "What happened?" He asked. "Reggie and I broke up," I told him.

He nodded, "Yeah, breakups are hard. But do you need anything? Ice cream? Tissues? A movie rental? Blankets?" My dad asked. I nodded, "No rental but can we watch to all the boys I've loved before and all that other stuff?" I asked. My dad nodded, "Yeah let me just run to the store and I'll be back in 10."

My dad left and I walked up to my room trying not to walk Carlos to get changed. (outfit below)

I was looking through my room and then I saw it

I was looking through my room and then I saw it. Reggie's jacket. I was going to wear it to the dance but decided against it last minute. This made me break down into sobs.

As I was on my floor crying I heard a knock on the door. "Jess? Are you okay?" Asked a now concerned Carlos. I shook my head, "No, no Los I'm not. But it's okay. I'll be okay." I told him. He ran over and gave me a hug. We heard our dad come home and I told Carlos I was going to watch a movie. He begged to come with us and I finally gave in. My tears had stopped for now.

We went downstairs and I saw my dad getting a spot ready for me, it had tissues, pillows, blankets, ice cream, popcorn, and the tv remote.

Do I have the best dad or what? I thought.

My dad looked up and saw Carlos and I. "Hey Los. I had a feeling you might be joining us." He said as he pulled out ice cream for Carlos. We all went and sat by on the couch. Carlos was cuddling me and my dad fell asleep next to us. When the movie was done I put a blanket over my dad and carried Carlos to his room.

When I walked into my room I saw it. Again. I started crying again and I threw it in my closet where I couldn't see it. I went to bed with tears streaming down my face and muffled sobs. Little did I know Reggie was sitting on the roof outside my room crying because he messed up.

"Good morning Jess." I heard someone say as they shook me awake. "Go away." I said. Then I felt someone pick me up. I opened my eyes and saw Ricky, "I'm not in the mood." I told him.

He set me down. "Your dad let me in. We need to leave soon." Ricky told me. "Well I'm wearing this and give me a sec." I said as I threw my hair up in a messy bun and put on mascara quick. "Now I'm ready." I told him.

"Jess, that doesn't look like what you would normally wear.... are you still...." Ricky said and I cut him off, "Yes. Ricky I am, Reggie god I loved him, you maybe never met him but I loved him. And I don't know what to do now that he's not here." I had started crying, "Let's just.... can we go? Please?" I asked. He nodded. "Yeah, it's gonna get better Jess I promise. Now let's get going." Ricky said.

We made our way to the car and drove to school, the ride was pretty quiet. The day was going by slow but I hadn't seen Julie all day and I was getting worried.

I was only in second period and it felt like I had been in school for hours. I was in science class and the teacher started talking about the weather, specifically thunderstorms. This reminded me of Reggie when he came to me because he was scared because it reminded him of his parents.

I felt tears forming in my eyes and I got up and started walking out of class, "I need to use the bathroom." I told the teacher and ran out to the bathroom.

When I got in I locked myself in a stall and I started balling my eyes out, then I was hyperventilating and I felt like I couldn't breathe. All a sudden I heard a poof noise, "Oh my gosh Jess! What's wrong?" Asked a worried Alex. I couldn't talk so Alex looked at me, "Just match my breathing okay?" I nodded. After a while I had calmed down.

"What was wrong?" Alex asked. I sighed, "Our teacher was talking about thunderstorms and it reminded me of Reggie...... I miss him." I told Alex. "Well, it's okay, what he, we did wasn't okay." Alex told me. I shook my head, "Alex I'm not mad at you or Luke and I'm not mad at Reggie for the reason I'm not mad at you guys. I'm mad at him because of the twins." Alex sighed, "Well, Reggie's a mess too."

I thought of a broken Reggie and I couldn't handle it. I started to cry again. "Hey, hey, hey. It's okay, you just need to take your mind off it and think about it when you get home." Alex told me. I nodded, "Okay well, I have to go to dance class. See you!" I walked out of the bathroom and made my way to class.

I walked in and still no sign of Julie.