c h a p t e r 9 ~ join the band

"I don't want to fight.... like my parents did all the time."

Julie and I went off to class. We didn't have any more classes together or with Flynn. I went and sat through all of my boring, boring classes.

When it was time to go to practice today, Julie said she was gonna take the bus home. Today we had a scrimmage for basketball. That went well and then I went home and changed.

(Outfit below)

 Then I found Julie in her room and we made our way down to the studio

Then I found Julie in her room and we made our way down to the studio. When we got down to the studio we saw Luke and Reggie playing.

"Guys, you aren't supposed to be out here playing alone." Julie told them. "But we're not alone, 'cause we always have each." Reggie told her and Luke wrapped an arm around him.

Julie and I unplugged their guitars from the amps. "But we had the volume level on one." Luke told us. "But we rocked it on volume ten. You guys want us to play it again?" Reggie asked. "Not right now babe." I told him. "I really don't think they do." Luke whispered.

"We've actually been waiting for Julie to come out here and for Jess to get home. Okay, so we have some pretty major news to tell you. We had a band meeting earlier and...." Luke said and Reggie gave him a drum roll. "We wanna invite you to join sunset curve. And no, you're not dreaming." Luke finished.

"Oh." We both said, we just couldn't stop thinking about Flynn. "Oh, uh.... oh, they said, oh. Umm.... that's what you say when you get socks on your birthday, not when you're invited to join the most epic band ever." Luke told us.

"Sorry, we're honored, but we can't think of anything but Flynn right now. She's still mad at me for lying. She hasn't even texted me back." Julie told them. "Yeah, she hasn't texted me either." I told them.

"Yeah, your two are in a tough spot. So you wanna join the band?" Luke asked. "Really?" I asked. "Read the room, dude." Julie told him. We started to walk out.

Luke called out after us. "Oh come on. We need you, and you need us because you need music. We found this poem that you wrote, Julie and Reggie and I we added this really cool melody to it. It sounds awesome. And Jess, we found a song of yours and I think that Reggie should talk to you about that."

"Where'd you find that?" Julie asked. "What song did you find?" I asked Reggie. "Definitely not one called Reggie." He told me. Julie was now yelling at Luke and I was mad at Reggie.

"You looked through my journal?" I asked softly. "I did but..." He started. But I cut him off. "You can't do that! You have to respect my space! Boundaries!" I yelled. "Jess I'm sorry okay. I just... I don't want to fight.... like my parents did all the time." He said the last part quietly but I still hear it. "Reg... I'm.... we don't have to fight." I told him hugging him.

"It's okay Jess.... but that song was really good. And um... I also wrote one about you that I could maybe show you." He told me. "I would love that." I said smiling.

Then we heard Luke sing some of the lyrics from the song, "If somebody hurts you..... if somebody hurts you I'm gonna get hurt too. And my life my life would be real low, zero flying solo." "Oh-oh," Reggie added.

"It's a killer melody." Luke to her. Julie sighed, "I wrote that about Flynn when she was helping me with all my mom's stuff. I gotta go." Julie then left. I gave Reggie a quick kiss on the lips, "I will be back later babe." And I left to go find Julie, and then find Flynn.

"Hey, what about the band?" Luke asked. "We can talk about that later. There are more important things going on in my life right now." I told him. I left and closed the door behind me.

When I caught up to Julie I also saw Flynn, "Flynn! what are you doing here?" Julie asked. "Yeah, we've been looking for you all over." I added. "Not everywhere, 'cause here I am." Flynn told us.

"We've been texting you all day. The least you could've done was text us back." Julie told her. I nodded, "Yeah, I was scared you could've texted me back." We said as we made our way over to Flynn. "I sent a poop emoji. I think it said everything. I was just leaving this." She said handing us her triple threat shirt.

"I won't need it anymore." She told us. "We're not taking it." Julie told her. "Fine then my dad can wash his car with it, though all this betrayal might scratch his paint." Flynn told her. "Come on Flynn." I said. "Look, we're very sorry for not telling you. But we... we need you to know how important you are to us. There's no way I would have made it through this year if it wasn't for you." Julie told her.

"Yet it was two strangers and Jess's boy toy that got you back into music. I don't need people in my life that lie and keep things from me. Jess you didn't even tell me about Reggie. Goodbye, Julie. goodbye, Jess." Flynn said then started walking away.

"Their ghosts." Julie told her. "What?" Flynn asked. "The boys in my band and the one I'm dating. They aren't holograms, their ghosts. And when we play together or I touche Reggie, people can see them." I told her.

"What do you mean ghosts? Like the kind that rattle chains and go boo?" Flynn asked. "No. And I'm pretty sure that's just a hurtful ghost stereotype. These guys are just normal dead dudes. Well.... Reggie's a little questionable." Julie said. "Hey don't talk about him like that." I said slapping her shoulder.

Flynn took her phone out and started texting. "Who are you texting?" Julie asked. "Your dad. He told me to text him if I was worried about you. And um... I'm worried, even for you Jess. You two are seeing things."

Julie grabbed the phone out of her hand, "Alright. So you wanna be difficult? Meet us in our mom's studio in thirty minutes, and we'll prove to you that we're not crazy. And please don't text out dad." Julie told Flynn.

"You have thirty minutes." Flynn told us. I looked down, "Eggs? Why did you bring eggs?" I asked. "Oh um.... no. No. See I grabbed those by mistake. It's not like I was gonna throw them at your bedroom window or anything." Julie and I let out a sigh and left to go work on the music. "Thirty minutes! Go." Flynn told us.

Julie and I walked back into the studio. "We have thirty minutes to perfect that song." I told them as I set a timer on my phone. "Yeah, otherwise Flynn is gonna think that we're crazy." Julie added. "Well, then let's get started." Luke said.

Right as my timer went off we heard a knock on the door.