chapter one | 'tis the damn season

seven years later

"JESPER I HAVE to go to work," I say, groaning as I try to move the man child's head off of my chest. His arms wrapped around me tightly, not wanting to move from the warm, comfortable position we were currently in in our bed.

But it's been thirty minutes since my alarm for work rang, and I had to get up. I wasn't about to head there without a shower, especially since I didn't have one last night, and I didn't want to end up being late on my last day before the break.

I pushed Jesper's blond hair away from his eyes and pressed my lips onto his forehead. "Baby, please." My fingers run through his hair, combing it back. "Get up. I know you're awake."

"Don't go. I don't want you to go."

Okay, done being nice. I push my boyfriend off me and roll off the bed. "Oh, so the morning I leave you is when you decide that no, you'd rather spend the holidays with me." I grabbed the grey hairbrush from the side table, stepping over the clothes scattered on the ground, and ran it through my hair. "You know you can still come and celebrate Christmas with me and my family, I'm sure they'll love to have you over again."

My bags were already packed for my trip back to my parents' home, placed in front of our bedroom door, ready for when I leave to work.

"Nah, it's okay. I'm sure you're sick of me. You should get to spend more time with your family" Jesper is shirtless on the messy bed, his head resting on his arm perched up. He watched as I grabbed my work clothes from the closet, trying my best to organize the mess of clothes while at it.

Blazer, skirt, blouse, leggings, undergarments - how cold was it outside? How many layers do I need?

"Are you sure you don't want to go on the trip either?" I asked him. The cottage trip was annual with my friends, and even if he was a bit of an outsider, I know Jesper enjoyed it the last two years he tagged along. It was kind of surprising to hear he didn't want to some again this year.

He sat up now, stretching out his limbs. "Ria, it's okay. I'm joking. I'll be fine without you here, plus, I can always call you if I get lonely. But I also have a family and friends to spend the holidays with."

I gave a weak smile. "Alright, alright, just don't get yourself into too much trouble." I looked at the clock on the wall. Shit, I'm not going to have time for a homemade breakfast, am I? I grabbed my towel. "Okay, shower time. Maybe make yourself useful and make breakfast or something."

"Are you sure you don't need help?"

I stopped in my tracks, turning around slowly to face him. "What did you just say?"

He has his sly half smile on his face. "Do you need company?"

I gagged. "Jesper, no! I'm going to work!"

"Asteria..." He pouts, trying to do his best puppy dog eyes. "You're going to leave me and now you're just breaking my heart."

I rolled my eyes and looked at the clock. "You can help scrub my back. That's all, okay baby?"

His eyes light up like a child on Christmas morning. "Oh, we'll see about that." There's that smirk again. Mischievous, up to no good.

I crossed my arms. "You are impossible, Jesper Larsen."

"I know." He walks up, plants a kiss on my lips, and heads the direction of the washroom. "But that's why you love me, Asteria Martin."

"WOAH, THAT looks awesome." I pulled my winter coat over my shoulders, admiring the installation of the Christmas decorations around the office. We were definitely behind on the decorating, with everyone so busy, but we're making it work for the last week before the holidays.

The garlands went up and around the room, lights and tinsel paired with them.

"Thanks, Asteria!" Ivana said, getting down from the ladder. "I wish we managed to get this up sooner."

"There's still a few days left until Christmas, plus, we could always keep it up until after the break, it's gives a little holiday cheer to everything. It's not like there's a rule against holiday decor." I pulled my hair back, taking it out from under my coat. "And if it's up till January, I get to look at the final product, too."

"Oh that's right, today's your last shift." Ivana crossed her arms and leaned against the wall. "Didn't you go to Cuba or something last year for Christmas? Any big plans this time around?"

I shook my head. "Last year, my boyfriend's family invited me along." It was the first time I spent the holidays with anyone besides my own family, Jesper joining us the year before. "This time it's just me, my mom and dad, and two brothers. Plus the cottage trip."

"That sounds nice, hope you have a great time."

"You too, Ivana!" I said cheerfully. I grabbed my backpack from my chair and headed downstairs to the lobby. A chorus of happy holidays and Merry Christmases were sent my way as I passed by everyone. That was the nice part of working at Code Orange - everyone pretty much knew everyone, or made effort to know everyone. It made the community much more friendlier.

"Ms Martin."

I stop right before the front door as I heard my name being called. Two years working here and I still manage to jump when Mr Johnston wants to speak with me. I turn on my heels, facing the balding man. "Mr Johnston, is everything alright?"

"Yes, of course Ms Martin. I just wanted to wish you a happy holidays."

"You as well, Mr Johnston." I tried to be kind, but I just wanted to get out of here. "Is there anything else you need from me before I head out?"

Johnston tucked his hand hand into his pocket, grabbing his phone. "I just wanted to remind you that I'd like your report as soon as possible - after the break is fine, but no longer than mid January."

"I will get it done, Mr Johnston. You can count on it."

"Sounds good." He gave me a quick nod and headed back into the direction of his office.

I pushed through the revolving doors of the front of the building and into the cold winter afternoon. Three weeks all to myself, with my friends, family, and Jesper.

But first, coffee.