chapter two | last christmas

BEFORE I HEAD to my car, I walk across the street to Athens, the Greek bakery nearby.

Even though I was outside for less than five minutes, the warmth inside the bakery was a nice greeting. Christmas music playing the background as friends and families enjoying their snacks. The smell of baked goods hit my nose, making my mouth water. Christmas decorations lined the walls - unlike the office, the decor was up since the end of November.

"Asteria! You made it!"

I laugh while heading to the front counter. "You know my schedule, Lucas. I always come here after work."

"The day you don't is the one where you will break my heart." He grabs my order from the counter behind him, already prepared - a medium double double and Lucas' aunt's famous lemon bougatsa. I already have the exact amount of cash prepared.

"How's your aunt?" I asked. I know Lucas was helping her out, squeezing in shifts in between his architecture internship. She couldn't really afford to hire another full time worker, so Lucas, being the guy he was, decided to step in.

He shook his head. "Mom says her condition is getting worse, chemo isn't really helping at this point. Doctors say she most likely has a year, unless she manages to make a miraculous recovery.

I gulped. "That's awful." Jacinta Vasilakis and her pastries are a gem in this part of the city. The bakery itself was here since Lucas' family immigrated here, but Jacinta's baking topped everyone else's pastries, so I've heard. "I hope she's recovers. She's strong, I know she'll manage to pull through."

"I really hope so." He drums his fingers against the counter. He always did that when he was thinking through something deeply - it was a habit I noticed right away back in high school. "Actually, Aster, do you have a minute? I know you're heading back to Leaside tonight and it's a bit of a drive but I wanted to talk to you about something."

I glanced at the clock behind him. "Yeah, I could spare a few minutes. What's up?"

He called back to his coworker, telling her Lucas was taking a five minute break. We took a seat at one of the empty tables.

Lucas was awfully nervous, which was really unlike him. I've never met anyone who has as much confidence as him - he could always be the first to present in class, the one to ask strangers the randomest questions, and even do the most questionable dares. But here we was, barely knowing how to form words.

He ran his hands through his blond hair. "Okay, so I asked the guys about this, but of course they're kinda clueless about anything romance related, and I mean, you're Parv's best friend so you should know what she would want."

"Everything is alright between you guys, right?" I sipped my coffee.

He nodded quickly. "Yeah, everything is fine. Everything is great, actually. I don't know why I just completely tried to avoid her in high school. Just, every moment since I asked her out two years ago have been been the best I could ask for."

I crossed my leg underneath the table. "Okay, so what do you need me for?"

He hesitates, looking away from me. "I feel like this might be way too early, and like she's in med school, right? Her life is already way to hectic, but Aster, I think she's the one. I want to spend the rest of my life with her."

Oh shit. I know my best friend has been head over heels for Lucas since the eleventh grade, and I know she likes Lucas a lot, but would she want to move so quickly so fast? "Lucas, that's a huge step. Did you and Parv at least talk a but about it together?"

"Sort of, yeah."

"Sort of isn't enough. If you do decide to ask her, you have to talk with her more about it beforehand."