Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Dane continued to act indifferent, he wouldn't look at me or talk to me and it did hurt. I didn't know what I had done but by the end of the week I was way too angry to be mellow and upset so I just ignored all thoughts about him and shoved my head into some books and schoolwork. Plus Aaliyah and Shay didn't let down on their promise. My birthday came sure enough and they surprised me along with my mother and my older cousin Jennifer from London and took me out to the mall where I did get my hair, nails and even eyebrows done (a painful process) and as treat from my mum I was given contact lenses (along with some cash) and from Jennifer a whole bunch of MAC makeup. Mum allowed it and Shay was buzzing at everything she saw. Honestly, birthdays weren't really my thing. I had had a few parties and gatherings when I was younger but as I got older they just became a somewhat normal day with my friends. Yes, they were a big deal I just wasn't overly excited over them, much to Shay's and Aaliyah's dismay a lot of the time.

We had so much fun I ended up forgetting about what had happened, the four of us walking around town being loud and weird and it was fun, I loved it! Sure, I didn't have a mega super sweet sixteen party but I was spending my birthday with the people who loved me and that was all that mattered. What had happened was the past; I was ready for the next step in my life. Plus, the dynamics between us were great. Jennifer had lived right by us all when she was younger and only moved to London to go to university so both Shay and Aaliyah were familiar with her and liked her almost as much as I did.

After shopping we ate, the shopped again then ate again then watched a movie and then went back to my house to only eat some more food and birthday cake. My mum was happy that I was finally going out because I wasn't really a person who went out much and let us be as loud as we wanted. Aaliyah and Shay didn't sleep over again because I had promised Jennifer some time alone with her and they had slept over the night before so my birthday was actually pretty amazing.

"You better not fuck this up." Jennifer giggled as I opened up one of the lipsticks. "This cost a shitload even with that dumb staff discount." She continued watching my face as I marvelled at my gift. Jennifer was amazing, and by far my favourite cousin. Makeup and beauty was definitely her thing, with perfectly shaped and filled eyebrows and luscious hair extensions that you would swear was actually hers, Jennifer never failed to look like a beauty queen.

I had always looked up to her and often wished I had her hazel eyes and bubbly, sociable personality but she always told me that I could be no one but myself. She was wise with her words and knew exactly what to say to me when I felt down even if the wonderful advice was laced with endless swearing. I always knew that she was there for me no matter what and I guess I was there for her too, yes, I couldn't really emphasise with her endless 'boyfriend' problems but I tried and for Jennifer –being the simple girl she was- that was all that mattered.

"I'll hardly wear any of this you know, I don't even know how to put it on." I replied grinning at her.

"That's why I'm here stupid!" She cried flicking my forehead. "You have such a mall forehead I hate you, bitch."

"Don't hate, I know it must be hard having to cover yours with that weave fringe but its life isn't it?" I teased laughing at her. Jennifer grabbed one of my pillows and swung it at me and soon enough we were in a full pillow fight trying as hard as we could to knock each other out and that's basically what we did all weekend. Mess around with makeup, eat birthday cake, and tease each other, fight, and repeat.

She found out about Dane because Shay told her and because she noticed something was wrong when she first came down but the advice she gave me was simple; "fuck him" she said while she straightened out my hair.