Chapter Six

A slightly longer chapter but Enjoy! :)

Chapter Six

   “I really need to stop doing this to you don’t I?” I asked my hair as I unravelled it slowly from the Bantu knots I had put it in last night. “Although it would be a shame seeing as you always look so nice when I do this to you.” I continued dipping my fingers in coconut oil. It was 6:58AM and I was talking to my hair. A perfect way to start the day.

   My hair had grown considerably during the summer; last year it was grazing my shoulders and now it was just about grazing my bra strap and I absolutely loved it. I now had the huge amazing afro I had wanted ever since I was a little girl and now that it was long I could style it with neat Bantu knots without looking like a crazy madhouse woman. Once I had finished unravelling them and splitting them; the curls rested nicely around my shoulders, my hair looking and feeling like a nice soft black cloud with an enchanting smell of coconut oil and shea butter. This was a good sign. Good hair meant a good day.

   After I had finished doing my hair and picking up a few more things for my bag I sat and ate breakfast until Aaliyah knocked on my door so that we could walk to school together a we usually did in the mornings.

   “Look at what Tre bought me.” She said showing me her phone. I took a look at her smashed iPhone screen to see a picture of some new Jordans.

   “Is that what he was whispering to you about in the park?” I asked dryly. Tre had a generous hand; he was always buying Aaliyah something nice.

   “Kind of.” She said with a giggle. “Aren’t they nice?”

   “They are actually.” I said nodding. “Don’t you ever feel guilty?” I continued curiously. “I mean he’s always buying you like really nice things don’t you ever feel like you need to give him something back?”

   “I do give him something back.” She said with a grin.

   “With mummy’s money?” I teased sarcastically. Aaliyah shot me a wicked grin then laughed.

   “With my body.” She whispered trying to sound seductive.

   “Here we go.” I laughed. Aaliyah giggled along with me then began to tell me here adventures with Tre the previous day. They got home, he gave her a gift, they kissed, they shagged, and she went home.

   “He’s so fucking stupid though, look at the love bite he gave me!” She explained lifting up her long brown and black box braids to reveal a bright red mark on her caramel brown neck. “If my mum see’s this I’m fucking done for, I told him to stop doing it.”

   “Gross.” I replied scrunching up my face. “Why didn’t you put make up on it?”

   “I forgot, I’ll ask Shay or someone for some concealer.”

   I nodded and Shay told me more about what happened yesterday. When we finally got to school I went to hand in some homework and then went to my locker to put my thing away and get some books. As usual, they day went by smoothly with no major humps or bumps. I saw Dane one or two times but he was with Serena and a few friends when I did so we just smiled at each other. I did however; get a few compliments on my hair which made me feel like I had accomplished something. As I had said, good hair meant good day.

   “Where is my afro gone?” Cale said to me at the end of the day as I put my books back in my locker.

  “Your afro?” I asked grinning at him.

   “Yeah, my afro! Why don’t you wear it out like super huge that would be so cool, I would even be your personal afro-guard so nobody touches it.” He said nodding at me with enthusiastic eyes. I laughed.