Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

   It was Tuesday and I was sitting in the library with Aaliyah at lunchtime while Shae was off with some other girls and Dane was with his friends. Despite what Dane said I had forgiven her and I guess she had forgiven me. We didn’t ever stay without talking to each other for much long and I would be a horrible friend if I just stopped talking to her after finding out what she had been through. She apologized for what she said to me and I apologized for not understanding her point of view as clearly as I should’ve and everything seemed to be cool between us but Dane said it wouldn’t last. He said that I just needed to wait till they argued again and we’d have problems again. Of course I tried to defend the relationship that Aaliyah and I had but deep down I wondered if he was right, I mean if she did it once she could surely do it again.

   “We’re talking now.” Aaliyah said referring to her and Tre. “He’s really sorry, I saw him cry for the first time.”

   I made a low ‘mm’ sound with a raised eyebrow. “Does your mum know? About what happened?”

   “Obviously not.” Aaliyah replied. “She’d never let him come near me again, she just thought we had a small argument.”

   “I wouldn’t blame her.” I said looking up at Aaliyah who was playing with her hair. Her box braids had been taken out and she had just gotten her hair relaxed at the salon. It was now pin straight and jet black, cut perfectly to her shoulders. It looked nice, she looked nice.

   “You really don’t like him now do you?” Aaliyah asked bringing her eyes up to meet mine.

   “No I don’t.” I replied. “I guess now I know how you feel about Dane and I…but then, what has he done?”

   Aaliyah sighed then tucked a piece of hair behind her ears. “Nothing and I guess that means I owe you another apology, I didn’t realise how much it hurts when your best friend isn’t supportive of your relationship.”

   “Yeah.”

   Silence.

   “So…sorry Lex and tell him I said sorry too, I’d do it myself but it’s easier to just talk to you.”

   “That’s fine.” I said giving her a light smile.

   “Tre was really upset when I told him what you said.” Aaliyah said. “It’s cos’ he said that you always tell me to do the right thing and that leaving would be the right thing but he doesn’t want that.”

   “He left you for two weeks though?”

   “That’s what I said and he said it was cos’ he felt guilty.” She explained. “I felt like they were the worst two weeks of my life…it’s funny how he only texted me when I stopped begging him to, after those three days when I was like fuck it and he texted me.”

   “Yeah cos’ boys like to feel wanted.”

   “Yeah.”

   Silence.  Awkward silence.

   “Cale’s throwing a party you know.” Aaliyah said after a while. “He told me to come, please please please come with me?” She said sounding a bit more upbeat. I raised an eyebrow at her. I wasn’t a party person, especially not a ‘Cale’s party’ party person. I hadn’t really ever got properly invited to a party and when Shay and Aaliyah tried to drag me along to any parties I always declined. I always thought I was too awkward for those types of situations. Plus, due to Cale being the incredibly funny, outgoing person he was, he was probably one of the most popular guys in school. Everyone would be there.