Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

   Standing in the dinner line I looked around for Dane. Aaliyah was explaining to Shay what had happened between her and Tre and I really didn’t want to have to hear her explain the story again and have to give feedback I wasn’t sure I actually wanted to say but had to because it was what Aaliyah wanted to hear. Tre was a nice, decent guy and more times than not, when they argued it wasn’t really his fault. Suddenly I felt a hand grab my own and squeeze it lightly; I spun around slightly surprised at the sudden contact but immediately calmed when I saw Dane standing behind me with a huge grin on his face.

   “How’s your leg?” He asked smirking at me.

    “You know what?” I asked acting dumbfounded. “All that excruciating pain is gone! It’s like I never really got kicked!”

   Dane chuckled for a bit and then just stared at me. I don’t know how he did it. How he blocked out the whole world to just stare at me with his majestic eyes. What was it that he saw? Was it like when I looked at him and saw his physical beauty and his mental beauty? When he was happy, I could see it on him, there was no need to ask and when he was sad well…he was vacant.

   I asked him what he was thinking when he was staring but he didn’t give me much and replied saying that “I just see you” and I just smiled because then, I didn’t know what to say but I felt good. It wasn’t an awkward moment when I was speechless, just…nice. A new feeling of romance had just been dropped graciously on me by him and for that I was grateful because I loved it. I loved it very much.

   But that feeling didn’t last forever. Aaliyah rolled her eyes when she saw us holding hands and I didn’t mind that, I knew she wasn’t being purposefully malicious. It was the looks other people gave us and the whispering that made me uncomfortable. People (especially those in my year) already knew Dane and I talked and it was blatant in how much we did during lessons that we were close so I knew there were already going to be assumptions made about us but when I saw Serena stare at Dane and I eating then whisper something to Abby who also stared I felt uneasy. It got worse when they giggled because I could help but imagine what they could’ve been saying.

What’s a guy like him doing with her?

They’re so weird.

Out of all people, why Alex?

   “What?” Dane asked in between telling me about a book he was reading. “What’s wrong?”

   “Nothing.” I said glancing over to Shay and Aaliyah who still looked like they were talking about Tre on the table in front of us. “Your friend Serena keeps staring though.”

   “Huh?” He asked turning around to face her making it obvious I was speaking about her. Dane smiled innocently then waved to Serena who with a confused face waved back.

What was wrong with her?

   “You’re so bait.” I whispered once he had turned back around.

   “So what?” He asked grinning at me.

   “Bait, it means obvious.”

   “Why didn’t you just say that? I’m not all that good with Wilmington street talk you know.” He said putting on a posh accent. I scoffed at him then bit into my cold tuna and cucumber sandwich. Dane forked into the oily beef lasagne on his plate while he smirked inwardly to himself.

He really did find himself funny.

   “That is disgusting.” I said pushing up my face, still stealing glances over to Serena who was doing the same to me.