twenty-nine

❝Chpair khani hai tum ne?!❞

It was a week after Oliver and Riya's marriage when Aayan received his regular call from Ifrah and his whole face lit up as always as he received it while examining himself in the mirror in his bedroom

They'd been calling each other non stop after clearing the argument on that day and Aayan was beyond grateful to Rabeel for it. If she hadn't forced him to take the first step, he'd have still been waiting in fear for Ifrah to forgive him on her own, which he now understood, was a really pathetic thinking in the first place. 

He made a mistake and he should've owned up to it in clear words instead of getting irritated at Ifrah's scolding. 

He would've saved himself a week of torture by not hearing or talking to her. 

“Hello, my love. How are you feeling on this very fine day?” he tried to sound posh but Ifrah only giggled at his attempt, making him wish for her to be in front of him so he could see the merriment on her face in person.

“Do not try to do that ever again. You sounded so silly.” she told him seriously but he could hear the smile in her voice and he chuckled. 

“Okay, fine. But can you answer my question, now?” he teased and heard her let out a sigh on the other end. Her voice sounded down when she spoke up next and a frown appeared on his face. 

“I am… ” she trailed off, as if contemplating her next words before saying; “I miss you.” 

Aayan's heart thudded hard against his ribcage. It was the first time since he came to London that she was confessing this to him and he wanted to feel smug about her finally voicing it out to him but he didn't. Instead he felt fücking sad. 

“When are you coming back?” she asked in a soft whisper before clearing her throat. “How's the project going so far?” 

“You're so bad at changing the topic, babe.” Aayan pointed out with a faint smile. “But if you're interested, I miss you so fücking much, too. I haven't slept properly since I came here.” 

“What?” she asked in disbelief. “You sleep like a stone. Don't joke with me, okay?” 

The raven haired guy rolled his eyes while moving towards his bed and plopping down on it before staring up at the ceiling. 

“I sleep like a stone because of you, idiot. You're like one of those big teddy bears children hug to go to sleep for me.” 

Ifrah felt a blush rise up to her cheeks along with sudden tears but tried her best to keep them at bay. She wasn't going to admit to him that she herself hasn't slept properly since he left. 

Acha? Ab tum mujhy bhalu se mila rahy ho?” she joked. 

(Oh, yeah? So now you're comparing me to a bear?)