thirty-eight

❝Jo hukum, meri jaan❞

"Are you sure you don't want a driver?"

Shazia asked her son for the tenth time in the last five minutes and he let out a sigh before grabbing her hand and kissing the top of it.

"Yes, mum. I really don't want a driver because I can drive myself."

"I know that, Shazain! It's just very unusual for the groom to drive his own car to the hotel."

Shazain rolled his dark eyes and they settled on his father who was watching their exchange with an amused grin. He narrowed his eyes at him and gestured towards his mother. Jahanzeb Sikandar chuckled at his son's misery and stepped forward to wrap an arm around his wife's shoulders.

"Just let him be, sweetheart. Bacha tou nahi hai wo ab ke usay pta na ho in cheezon ka."

Shazia threw her husband a stinky side glance but backed off nevertheless, and pulled her son into a hug.

"Mujhy apni bahu bohat pyari hai, samajh aai? Agar shikayat mili tou acha nahi hoga."

(My daughter-in-law is very dear to me, okay? If I ever hear a complain, it won't end up good for you.)

She warned as she patted his back and Shazain responded with a small pout.

"You are talking as if I am a gunda of sorts."

His mother gave him a straight look and said, "Your recent actions have made me expect every kind of dumb thing from you."

Shazain's face fell as his father laughed out loud. He passed both of them a mean glare and swivelled on his feet to walk towards the car, inside which Rabeel was waiting for him after saying her goodbyes to her grandfather.

His expression turned soft when he got in and found her inspecting the henna on her hands and took a hold of her left one after closing the door.

"Rung tou kafi gehra aya hai wesy." he commented as he played with the band on her ring finger before dropping a kiss there.

Rabeel barely held herself from letting out a contented sigh at the gesture and raised her chin.

"Haath kis ke hain? Rung gehra ana he tha." she stated snobbishly and Shazain laughed before kissing her knuckles once again and starting the car.

He kept a tight grip on her left hand and drove out of the parking lot, leaving his parents and close family friends to stare at the receding vehicle with a smile on their faces. The rest of the guests had returned to their homes a little while ago because the wind had picked up speed as the weather took an unpredictable turn.

It was going to rain soon.

They travelled in a comfortable silence until Rabeel noticed that they weren't heading in the direction of the hotel his parents had booked for them and she faced him with a frown.