thirty-one

❝Apni biwi ko sambhalo ja kar❞

“And then she told me that the invite which had taken me a whole day to make didn't come up to her expectation so she was going to pay me half the amount we'd actually agreed on

“And then she told me that the invite which had taken me a whole day to make didn't come up to her expectation so she was going to pay me half the amount we'd actually agreed on.” 

“What? That's ridiculous!” Fania exclaimed in bafflement to Ifrah's words while Rabeel nodded her head in agreement. The three of them were in the kitchen, preparing dinner, while the guys had gone out in the lawn to set up the barbecue. They'd been talking about anything and everything since Fahad and Fania arrived and Rabeel was feeling beyond happy to be a part of this companionship. It was her first time having a proper interaction with girls her age and she was enjoying every second of it. 

“I know right? I mean, check the audacity. People are so ignorant sometimes. She didn't waste a second before slapping all the effort back to my face.” 

Rabeel watched as Fania tsked while putting the cookies in the oven and turned around to check the fridge for some juice. Her green eyes took in her side profile before she averted her gaze to the nuts placed in front of her. 

'No wonder Shazy proposed to her. She's got the looks and the personality he likes; calm and collected. Just like himself.'

Ifrah turned the flame low on the stove before turning around to face the counter where Rabeel was sitting. She glanced at Fania who was pouring herself a glass of juice and addressed the redhead. 

“So, Rabeel… do you have any interesting work stories to share?” she asked and Rabeel blinked at her in surprise. Fania passed her an encouraging smile. 

“Yeah, I'd love to know as well.” 

The redhead looked at the two of them for some moments before smiling. She really wanted to tell them the incident with Louis Carter but she wasn't sure if Shazain would appreciate her telling them she used to work in his company. So, she shrugged and popped a half walnut in her mouth before replying. 

“I've been babysitting for a while and sadly, there has been no drama so far.” 

Fania chuckled at how genuinely disappointed she looked and Ifrah only smiled amusedly. She took a seat on the stool and propped her head in her hand before asking another question. 

Shadi ka socha hai?

The walnut seemed to go down in the wrong pipe because Rabeel started coughing all of a sudden. Fania tried to help her and started to get up from her seat but she shook her head and gathered herself. Meanwhile Ifrah was hiding her amused smirk with a hand. 

Nahi. Abhi nahi socha.” she replied after composing herself and kept her eyes glued to the nuts, her cheeks tinged red. Ifrah and Fania shared a meaningful look before Ifrah said,