thirty-five

❝Dimag khrab hai kya us ka?!❞

“Do you think there are mermaids in the Thames?” 

“No, Rabeel, I don't think so.” 

“But why?” 

“Because— ” 

“Don't you dare give me a vain reason as 'they don't exist' because they most certainly do.” 

“ —they live in the ocean, and as far as I'm aware of, the Thames is not an ocean.” 

“But what if one of them got drifted here by mistake?” 

“Then it would've been dead already for the river is polluted with human waste.” 

“Shazy!” 

“What? It's true! Around thirty-nine million tonnes of sewage— ”

“Blast you!” 

A handkerchief landed with a soft smack on Shazain's face as Rabeel threw daggers at him with her glare. He pushed the silky material off his face and looked at her in confusion. They were both sitting at a table close to the railing as the cruise ship moved over the river currents, towards the Southbank. The weather had taken an unpredictable turn and the night sky was starting to hide behind the heavy grey clouds, promising a rainfall after weeks of dry cold. They had placed their orders a couple of minutes ago and were now chatting to pass time but after Shazain's last sentence, it had come to an abrupt stop.

“What was that for?” he asked confusedly and watched as Rabeel's glare intensified. 

“Aesy he mera haath phisal gya,” she bit out sarcastically, making him chew on his bottom lip in contemplation. The redhead let out an irritated groan as she leaned forward to say; 

(Oh, my hand slipped by mistake,)

“Seriously, Shazy? I'm asking you whether there are mermaids under us or not at the moment and you are informing me about the quantity of shïte in the Thames. Does that sound normal to you?” 

Shazain's cheeks coloured at her words in embarrassment as he broke his eye contact with her to focus on the silverware placed on the table. 

“I… I wasn't actually trying to tell you about that. It's just… gross.” he made a face at the end before shaking his head. Rabeel rolled her eyes while pulling his coat tighter around herself. The wind had picked up speed by now and it was providing her much needed warmth. 

“You make me concerned about your head when you utter nonsense like this from time to time.” she jibed with the hint of a smile and Shazain let out a scoff. 

“At least I do it on rare occasions. You, on the other hand… ” he trailed off with a meaningful look in her direction which she responded to with a narrowed one of her own.