thirty-six

❝O teri khair!❞

The dark eyed man clenched his jaw as another slap made contact with his back as he leaned over to read the contents of an important email

The dark eyed man clenched his jaw as another slap made contact with his back as he leaned over to read the contents of an important email. The disrespectful hit was followed by a loud guffaw which sounded like a mixture between a whale and donkey's last cry of agony before they met their Maker. 

“Seriously, Sikandar, you should've seen that bloke's face when I finished that chaat in one go. He looked as if I'd killed his grandma's cat, ha!” 

Shazain closed his eyes and mentally started counting to keep his hands from reaching out and strangling his so-called best friend. Oliver had arrived half an hour ago at his office and had been going on and on about his visit to India where he met Riya's remaining family members. He was telling him about how he left them all surprised by eating all kinds of spicy foods they could come up with and Shazain was now only seconds away from giving him the spiciest punch on the face. 

Oliver was going to land another smack on his back between his hysterical chuckles but Shazain grabbed his wrist in time and threw him a hard stare. 

“Are you trying to bend my bloody spinal cord?” he ground out in irritation and the curly haired guy scoffed as he snatched his hand out of his grasp and pushed back the revolving chair he was sitting on. 

“What has gotten you in such a bad mood, mate? Did your wife kick you out of the room last night?” he asked with a mischievous spark in his eyes. 

Shazain's gaze involuntarily went to the glistening band on his ring finger prior to rewarding him with a murderous glare. 

Oliver immediately sobered up with his palms turned upwards in a protective gesture. “Sorry, sorry. It was a bad joke.” 

“Glad to know that you're at least aware of this fact.” Shazain said through clenched teeth before focusing his attention back on the laptop screen. Oliver continued to observe his profile for the next few minutes and then moved his chair around the desk to properly face him.

“How is your mum taking the whole… engagement thing?” he suddenly tossed the question, making his fingers pause over the keyboard. Shazain glanced at his friend, then went back to typing the reply to the latest email. 

“Why are you asking this?” he enquired with an expressionless face. 

“Well, I just wanna know whether she is on her way to kill you yet or not,” he replied cheekily before adding in a more sombre voice. “But seriously, Sikandar, who is this mysterious woman? You've basically caused a ruckus all over the internet with your sudden Tweet of that blazing ring.”

He pointed at the band on Shazain's finger with a frown and he finally let go of the keyboard to recline in his office chair and inspect the said ring. 

“I have to admit, this ring is kind of amazing. Don't you agree?” he flashed the band to his best friend with a smirk who responded with a narrowed look.