11

chapter eleven
restaurant trauma

phoenix raye
perspective

"i feel bad though," he said and i smiled "how about you too come? i mean technically you two are interns." we both smiled then i nodded and zara looked at her boyfriend, as William and i stood up. i grabbed my phone off the table, looking at zara.

"go on then, just call me later okay?" Leo asked. she smiled and kissed him then got up standing with us.

"I've already paid, so enjoy the food. on me," will said. Leo smiled then the three of us walked out and got into his car. zara is in the back seat and us two in the front.

"so when you get there, you guys will be with me. just follow me ill get you into scrubs and everything" he said.

"what about shoes? not that i don't love my heels" zara said.

"i got two pairs in the back of the car," i said looking at her. she nodded then soon William pulled up to the hospital parking. zara and i got out quickly grabbed the sneakers as he locked the car starting to walk in.

we followed him in and up the attending's lounge. William passed us some scrubs and we both walked into the bathroom turning around so we were facing away from each other and quickly got changed. i walked out not long after and put on my black sneakers.

"you guys ready?" William asked. we both nodded then he walked out and we made our way down to the ER. "Where do you need me?" he questioned the nurses.

"We need to get beds 3, 6 and 8 upstairs and admitted. we have an ambulance about 3 minutes out with a kid, don't know how bad" one of the nurses replied.

he nodded then turned to us. "you guys take the three upstairs to the peds floor stitch them up, then i will page you two to where ever i am," he said.

we both nodded then turned around and grabbed a chart from the desk. i turned to zara and we walked over to one of the beds. "hi im Dr Raye, and we will be taking you and your son upstairs to the pediatric floor," i said to the patient as i put a set of gloves on.

they both nodded then zara walked away getting a wheelchair, i helped him into the wheelchair and started wheeling them upstairs to the peds floor. i got him into the bed as zara got him admitted and all his information started in a chart.

i checked his breathing and checked if he was bleeding anywhere. i walked to the end of the bed as i pulled my gloves off.

"if you need a nurse, hit the green call button on the side of the bed. there is a bathroom just through there," i said pointing to the bathroom opposite the bed, "where you can get changed into your gown and i will be back up to check on you in an hour." i said smiling.

his mum nodded then i walked out throwing my gloves in the bin after getting the wheelchair. i turned to zara as she gave the chart to the nurse's station. "we'll just get the other two each?" she asked.

i nodded then we both walked to the elevator going back down to the emergency room. i still had the wheelchair and put it in front of the bed. "good afternoon, im DR raye and will be taking you to a room," i said as i rolled the wheelchair for the teenage girl to get in. 

"w-we were waiting for someone to stitch her up," her mum said.

i looked at her and nodded, "okay, well I'll so that upstairs where your in another bed and probably a lot more comfortable."

she nodded then i smiled and started taking her upstairs to the peds floor. i got her in an empty room. her mum helped her into the bed and i passed them a gown.

"get changed into the gown, and i will go get a suture kit and be right back," i said to them both. her mum nodded and i walked out of the room and to the nurse's station admitting her.  i walked down the hall a little bit looking for a suture kit before i walked back into the room. i sat down on a chair next to the bed starting to suture the arm up.

"hey is everything okay up here?" i turned around in the chair seeing William. 

"Yeah, we haven't had a chance to check back but when i last checked everything was good and everyone was stable," i answered turning back around.

"ok ill check then, im going into surgery if you need me," he said. i nodded then heard him walk out, her mum walked out not long after.

"whos he?" the young teenage girl asked.

"he is the head of pediatric surgery, so my boss," i answered her

"he's very attractive," she said as i smiled at her.

"i know but don't tell him that, it'll get to his head and inflate his ego too big," I replied. she smiled as i continued suturing her arm up.

"hey you coming?" someone asked. i turned around and looked at zara who was standing in the door way.

"Yeah, just give me a minute," i answered. she nodded then i finsihed suturing her arm. i stood up throwing my gloves in the bin.

"i will be back in a little bit to check on you and your arm. if you need a nurse, the call button is the green button," i said.

she nodded then i walked out with zara and made our way to the cafeteria. we got some food quickly sitting down and eating it. not long after my phone went off with a message from William. "he's going into surgery again if you wanna watch," i said to zara putting my phone down.

"yeah ok," she answered. we both stood up and started walking over to the elevator. i leaned my head back on the wall checking the time.

"we've been here for 6 hours," i said

"really only been that?" she asked.

i nodded, "yeah, what have we done anyway?" i asked

"uh we, admitted 8 people, helped prep 2 of them for surgery and had to watch William call time of death for 2 people so far," she said as the doors opened.

we walked out and looked at the surgery board to see which operating room he was in. After we walked up the stairs and walked into the gallery and sat down in two free seats. "This doesn't look so good," i whispered.

zara looked at me before looking back. the heart monitors, starting beeping as his heart rate dropped. "no pulse, starting compressions," Will said.

he started CPR, doing continuous compressions, while i moved to the edge of the seat so i could see. he continued compressions, before looking up at the heart monitor. "how long has she been down?" he asked.

"20 minutes doctor" one of the scrub nurses answered. he stopped doing compressions seeing the monitors go to a flatline. he took a deep breath, looking up at the clock.

"time of death, 12:47 am"