23

chapter twenty three
surgery on an ex

phoenix raye
perspective

"ill see you tonight," William said as he leaned down and kissed me, i smiled before pulling away as the elevator doors opened. he walked out and the door shut again before going up one more floor. the doors opened and i walked out and found my way through the hallways to the change rooms.

i quickly got changed before walking out and finding my group of residents. soon after Dr Christina beers found us, starting to list things off. "uh, Raye, your down in the Emergency Room" orthopedic surgeon, Christina Beers said, "page me if anyone comes in that you cant handle."

she listed off everyone else and i walked off and over to the elevator. i pressed down and went down to the ground floor before walking towards, the emergency room walking in. i walked over to the reception desk. "you need any help with anything?" i asked.

"you can sit behind here, and answer calls," the nurse said.

"i can do that, but if ortho comes in," i started, "that's where im meant to be." the nurse nodded then i moved around the desk and sat down. i answered the phone whenever it called. i leaned back in the chair after i paged Will.

"hey," i looked up seeing zara.

"hey, whachu doing down here?" i asked.

"uh, im waiting on Labs, but they're slow," she answered. i nodded before William walked in.

"what can i do you for?" he asked and i grabbed a chart passing it to him.

"bed 5, a kid with stomach pain," i answered. he nodded before walking off and i looked over at zara and smiled.

"So what's it like being engaged?" i asked

"the same as dating," she smiled, "but the wedding, will be amazing."

"i ca-" i said as the phone started to ring, "I can't wait." i picked up the phone.

"John Radcliffe Emergency Room," i said. they talked back before i hung up. i paged Christina before standing up, and Zara taking my spot. i put on one of the trauma gowns and gloves before walking out. the ambulance pulled up and i opened the doors, as one of the paramedics got out. 

"Oliver Braxton, 24-year-old male," they started before i looked in still listening to him. i helped push him in before helping transfer him onto one of the beds. they walked out and i started to work him up, as he was still passed out.

"what's happened here?" i turned around seeing Christina.

"Oliver Braxton, 22," i said, "he fainted, fell and tore his ACL."

she nodded before her pager went off. "Ok, im needed back upstairs. when he wakes up take his labs, and find me with the result after admitting him," she said.

i nodded as she walked off. i grabbed his chart filling out before he woke back up. i pulled out a chair and sat down next to his bed. "well, fancy seeing you here," he said.

"Ollie, what the hell did you do," i said. he smiled before sitting up.

"i tore my knee a little ago, it fixed itself. i missed a step and fell and must have retorn it," he said, "don't know why i passed out though."

i stood up, "well, i gotta take some blood then get you admitted." he nodded and i walked away and over to the desk seeing zara still there.

"we have a problem," i said, "Oliver's here. my ex." she smiled standing up, walking towards the bed i was just at.

"you wanna see him?" i questioned, "you can take his blood."

she smiled as i grabbed the stuff passing it to her. she walked over and started to take his blood as i walked over after. "so why are you here?" i asked, "your parents here?"

he shook his head, "uh nope. i graduated the year before last and tried to hit some of the cities we were gonna go to."

"they nice?" i asked

he nodded, "yeah," he started, "everything's really nice." i nodded before walking off and back to the desk, zara following me.

"how in the world have you dated two of the hottest men I've ever seen?" she questioned.

i smiled, "talent honey. can you take that to labs, i need to get him admitted?" she nodded then i walked over to him with a wheelchair.

"i need to get you admitted," i said. he nodded then i helped him into the wheelchair. i wheeled him upstairs and found an empty room putting him in there.

"so what are you guys doing with me?" he asked

"ill get someone in, but i think we're gonna go in and fix you and your broken knee," i said.

"your gonna fix me?" he asked.

"im gonna help fix you," i said before getting paged, "i gotta go, if you need something the nurse's button is the green one and ill be back in with the surgeon." i walked out and made my way through the floor of the hospital to Labs. i stood in line before making my way to the front. "Oliver Braxton?" i asked

they nodded then turned around and got the piece of paper, before handing it to me. i turned around and walked away looking for Christina. i walked towards the elevator before running into someone. i looked up seeing William, "we should really stop meeting like this," he said.

i smiled, "we really should. have you seen Dr. Beers?"

he nodded, "uh, i saw her downstairs near the main nurse's station." i smiled at him before walking around and getting into the elevator that was opened. i pushed the down button as the door shut. i read over the sheet of paper before the doors opened and i almost ran into Christina, as she walked in.

"i was looking for you," i started, "Oliver Braxton's labs." i passed the sheet of paper over to her, and she read it before looking back over at me. walking out when the doors opened.

"ok, hes ready," she stated, "ill go up and talk to him. but book an OR, and prep him getting him down there. when you get down there page me and ill be down there."

i nodded before she walked back up to his room. i found a phone and called the OR, booking one. i made my way back upstairs to Oliver's room seeing Christina still in there. she turned around and went to walk out seeing me. "OR 4 is booked, ill prep him and get him down there," i said

she nodded before walking out. i turned to Oliver and started to prep him for the OR. when i finished i pushed him out of the room, and into the elevator. "when im out you can call my parents," he said.

"ollie, you can call them when your out and breathing," i replied. he smiled then i pushed him out of the elevator, and into the OR. "ill see you when you're out," i said, "Page Dr Beers, please."