24

chapter twentyfour
take a trip down memory lane

phoenix raye
perspective

i chuckled walking through the hallway with zara by my side, before turning into the giant double doors of the john Radcliffe auditorium. "it is crowded in here, there's barely any seats left," zara said looking over at me.

"yeah well, we have seats," i smiled, "perks of dating someone high in the food chain." she bumped my shoulder before walking down a couple more steps and turning down into one of the rows. shimming down the row, i stopped coming face with two empty seats next to William.

"hey baby," i said softly as i sat down next to Will, putting my hand on his leg briefly. he turned back around in the chair looking over at me, kissing my cheek quickly. his hand landed on my thigh before turning back around and talking to the people behind him.

"good morning," sage's voice rang through the loudspeakers of the auditorium, "i am uh- I'm excited. this is a teaching hospital. we learn a lot by doing. we can also learn- should also learn from other peoples experiences. their losses will save you losses. their mistakes will save you mistakes. their victories will inspire yours. let's pay close attention, this is gonna be good. Dr Mackayla Rose."

i let out a content sigh leaning back in my seat further, watching as mackayla stood from her seat in the front row. a soft clap was spread throughout the area as she stood upon the small stage. Williams hand went back to my leg and a small smile came across my face. 

sage stepped off the stage as macklaya face the crowd, "goodmorning everyone." i watched as she threw something towards us smacking zara next to me, stopping her from doing what she was doing. i chuckled looking at her as another one came at her and she caught it kinda. "if i have to stand here, you have to listen. eyes forward. answer a question right, you get a chocolate.-"

"we are not children," zara muttered turning her attention towards mackayla. i smiled at her before sitting up straight, watching forwards.

"-doze off, you get beaned in the face. ask Dr Grace, my aim is exceptional," mackayla continued as she walked around the table towards the computer, "uh, 2009," snippets of information appeared on the screen above, "I'm three days into my intern year."

i zoned out slightly leaning my head on my hand which was on resting on the arm of the chair. "what time did you get home last night?" William's voice came through soft.

i groaned closing my eyes slightly, "i don't know, 2 maybe 3. late, the coffee just hasn't quite kicked in yet." i looked up at him smiling softly before zoning out again.

"single most important step, in the treatment process?" she questioned.

"physical exam," some replied and i regained some sort of focus.

"no. no chocolate for you."

"lab and radiology evaluation," zara called out.

"uh, come on people. now you're just embarrassing me."

"patient history," i called out after.

"thank you. catch," mackayla said as she threw the chocolate my way. putting my hands up i caught it before it went over my head into the row behind me. 

"successes or failures. which one teaches you more?"

"failures."

"yeah but that was easy. don't get too cocky," she said throwing a chocolate past me and up further into the auditorium, "the patient was discharged and a month later, she was back in the ER in the middle of the night. she had right lower quadrant pain, fever and vomiting. symptoms consistent with?"