30

chapter thirty
they didnt merge. they invaded!

phoenix raye
perspective

i stood outside the hospital watching as workmen pulled down the old hospital name before replacing it, 'John Radcliffe Warneford Hospital.' i took a sip from my coffee cup before someone ran around me in bright orange resident scrubs; warneford residents. the ones that didn't get cut.

ignoring the people in orange i walked in and upstairs to the resident locker room getting changed into our blue resident scrubs. as i stepped out of the unisex bathroom the changing room was filled with orange. with my pagers and everything in my pockets, i walked outstanding around the nurse's station watching as Anthony walked into the locker rooms.

running into Ashley we walked through the halls before coming to the balcony part on the 2nd floor that allowed us to look over onto the first. two started out before two more of our residents in blue joined us watching over as the orange scrubs invaded the first floor.

the four of us moved through the hallways and made our way to zara's room that was on the second floor. i stood next to the bed as ashley stood at the window and everyone else in blue was scattered around the room. "they're locusts. comfortable locusts," zara said looking out the window, "feeding on our surgeries."

"they're rude," Ellie scoffed, "there should be at least a couple of days where they act like guests before they put their feet up on the coffee table."

"and what's with the orange scrubs?" Ashley asked as i checked  zaras  vitals and her IV, "what, ours arent good enough for them?"

"We ran out," zara sighed, "they're on backorder. Randall from the supply company says there'll be here in the week." i looked at her and she shrugged, "that's what you learn when you lie here all day."

"why bother ordering new ones?" laurance one of the 2nd year residents said, "we could just give these to our replacements."

"we are not going to be replaced by anybody," Anthony said as i turned around and sat down in the seat that was free.

"if i have to become a corner-" shane, another 2nd year resient spoke before zara interrupted.

"no one is becoming a coroner," zara said before looking over at me, "phoenix, tell him."

"tell them what?" i asked, "they're here. its over."

"hey, we ae not some stupid hosts. they cant invade us," zara continued, "they cant attach themselves to our faces and then while were eating spaghetti, explode out of our chests and skitter across the floor."

my eyebrows furrowed as she continued talking, "this is our ship. this is our ship."

"excuse me. are you- are you quoting a Sigourney Weaver movie?" Ellie asked.

"shut up."

Ellie chuckled, "that's what happens when you live here. you watch a lot of tv."

"We own this hospital," zara continued, "we were born in this hospital. and we will hold this hospital with our last gasping breath."

"i really don't want to be a coroner," shane repeated, "i don't like dead people."

"go out there and go get surgeries before they take them. go! and i want a full report by the end of the day," i stayed in the chair as people started to walk out. she turned looking over at me, "and what is wrong with you?"

"i-i don't know what im fighting for," i spoke honestly.

"surgeries, phoenix, surgeries. you have a peds god here, go and practice. you will not be cut, now go!" i stood up walking out of the room and downstairs with the four residents following after to me.