21

chapter twentyone
growing pains dont cause this much pain

Phoenix Raye
Perspective

"i was paged?" i questioned walking towards the nurse's station, clipping my pager back onto my white coat pocket.

"bed 2," she answered passing me a clipboard. nodding i grabbed it and started reading through it before walking over towards the bed.

"good afternoon, I'm Dr Raye and ill be examining you tonight," i said looking at the mum and her son that was lying in the bed, "so... andy, how long ago did the pain start?"

"i don't know. a few weeks," he answered before his mum interrupted, "growing pains. i took him to see our doctor. he's a bad doctor, he stands there texting while I'm talking to him. he diagnosed andy with growing pains. you know grew up, and growing pains did not cause me to fall down on the football field."

"mum, you're being a little dramatic," andy cut in.

"your pain is dramatic to me, andy."

"no, your mums right. its a good thing that you came," i spoke lightly tapping his legs so he moved them off the bed, sitting so he was facing me.

"because it does hurt. everything hurts, all the time," andy said as i sat down on one of the chairs in front of him.

"okay, I'm gonna give you a quick exam, and your gonna let me know if the pain gets worse." moving away slightly i started the exam before i grabbed one of the hospital gowns passing it over to him before speaking and shutting the curtain walking out, "can you get changed into that please? ill come back in a minute."

the two of them nodded and i walked over to the nurse's station filling in some paperwork before looking up at the nurse, "can you page Dr. Sinclair please?"

she nodded then i finished up some paperwork before turning around and walking back over toward the patient and sitting back down next to him starting to draw blood before William made it down walking toward me.

"you paged me?" he questioned and i nodded before pointing to the x-ray films on the bed.

"x-rays for you to look at." he nodded then picked them up before looking over them quickly, his face slightly changing.

"do i need to take my son to another hospital?" andys mum asked.

"what?" Will questioned as i started drawing blood, looking over at them.

"Andy is my person, he's my only person," she continued, "and something is wrong with him. so what I'm asking you is, do i need to take him somewhere else?"

"no," he replied sternly, "no. ill make andy my person too." i watched as she nodded before walking away and back over to Andy's side. i finished collecting the blood before passing it off to a nurse who attached the bloodwork to some paperwork before passing it off to someone else.

grabbing the chart of the counter i leaned down slightly starting to fill out the chart. "mums love you, you know," i said looking quickly to my right seeing William stand next to me.

"kind of my superpower," he smiled taking the chart away from me and reading over it, "why else do you think i went into peds?"

"because you want to help make sick children unsick?" i questioned leaning on the counter looking back over at andy and his mum, "so what am i going to have to compete with mums as well?"

he smiled and nodded, "yep." letting out a deep breath, i sighed before watching after him as he walked back over to the two. leaning over the counter i grabbed my water bottle off the counter taking a quick sip before putting it back down and walking over standing next to William.