15

chapter fifteen
heart transplant

phoenix raye
perspective

"hey. hey, wait up." i turned around seeing zara.

"what's up?" i asked.

"leo's coming over tonight, sooo," she said

"so. i'll find a place to stay tonight," i said. she smiled then walked off as i kept walking towards the nurse's station seeing William. "hey you doing anything after work?" i asked him.

he shook his head turning his full attention to me. "what's up?" he replied.

"Zara's kicking me out for sex," i smiled.

"that must hurt deep down since your not getting anything," he replied, "but you can stay with me, im getting out of here at about 9." i nodded and smiled.

"thank you, i owe you," i said as my pager went off, "don't let me forget."

"you can cook," he said before i walked off finding Dr Stevens.

i put my shoes on putting my sneakers in my locker. i grabbed my bag and walked out of the locker room. i walked downstairs and passed the nurses station getting into the elevator, i pressed the ground floor then laid my head on the wall as the doors closed. as the doors opened i walked out while people walked in. i saw William standing talking to people as i got closer.

"took your time," he said. i rolled my eyes as he walked away from the people that he was talking to. we walked out and walked over to his car getting in. he started the car and started driving to his house. when we got there he parked the car and we got out and walked up to the door. he unlocked it then i walked in and made my way to the couch. i put my bag down collapsing on it.

"you're meant to cook," he said. i rolled off the couch and walked into the kitchen. i opened his fridge and looked through it before looking back at him.

"i would but you have no food," i replied.

"i know, just wanted you to get off your ass," he said. i groaned and flipped him off before hearing him chuckle. i walked over to the couch falling back on it.

"im sleeping here," i said into the couch

"have fun," he said. i closed my eyes feeling myself drift asleep.

"phoenix, up. wake up."

"what?" i groaned

"Maya Dean got a heart we need to go in," he said. i sat up and rubbed my eyes nodding.

"how long have i been out for?" i asked.

"about 6 hours," he replied.

"it's 3:30?" i asked he nodded then started to walk out. i stood up grabbing my bag following after him. he shut and locked the door. i threw my bag in the back of the car before getting in. i tied my hair back in a low bun, as he started the car driving.

when we got there he parked the car. we both got out and i grabbed my bag out. i started walking in when i saw zara, i walked over getting on the elevator. i yawned as she shut the door. "so how was your night?" she asked.

"i fell asleep on his couch," i groaned

"didn't even invite you to sleep with him," she chuckled.

"just because i like him like that doesn't mean he does," i answered.

"girl, have you seen the way he looks at you? he likes you like that," she almost teased.

"he's my boss, z. can't do that," i said. she shrugged then stepped out of the elevator, i followed her and into the intern locker rooms. we both got changed quickly getting ready before walking out and up to the peds floor seeing William and Alexandra talking.

we walked over getting ready to help them. "i need one of you two, to get the labs and the other one to get the heart from reception after you prep the patient," Dr Stevens said.

we both nodded then zara walked into the patient's room. i turned around and made my way up to labs. i walked up to the little window seeing someone. "labs for Maya Dean," i said.

they nodded turning around grabbing the piece of paper before turning around and passed it to me. i looked them over before walking back downstairs giving the results to Dr Stevens. she looked them over before looking up at me.

"help grace finish prepping then take her downstairs to the OR, we'll be down there in 10," she said. i nodded then walked into the patient room. i walked to the opposite side of the bed from zara and started to help her prep maya.

"ill take her down, you go get the heart," i said to zara. she nodded then walked out as i turned to maya and her mum.

"so the OR is ready, i will take you down now," i said to both of them.

they both nodded as her mum turned to her. "i love you, ill see you after ok?" her mum said.

"ok, i love you," maya said back i smiled softly at the two before starting to roll her out of her room, and down to the elevator. "ill be okay right?" she asked.

i looked down at her as i rolled her into the elevator. "you'll be okay. all you have to do is remember to fight," i started "Dr Stevens and Dr Sinclair are the best of the best. You'll do amazing."

she nodded then i put my scrub cap on as the door opened. i wheeled her through and into the OR. i helped her onto the table then looked up as William and Alexandra walked through the automatic doors. "ill see you when its over," i said.

the anesthesiologist put her under as the two surgeons got gowned and gloved. i walked out and sat up in the gallery as they looked at each other. "scalpel," Dr Stevens intrusted.

the nurse passed the scalpel to her as she started an incision on her chest. "here, the hearts here," zara said walking in.

"just in time," Dr Stevens said. zara smiled then put the container down walking out after throwing her gloves in the bin. soon she was up sitting with me. i smiled at her before turning my attention back to the surgery.

"and we are done here," Dr Stevens said. she smiled as the both of them walked out of the Operating Room. i stood up stretching before sitting back down. i turned to zara, to see her almost asleep.

"go lie down in an on-call room, ill wake you up when it's time," i said to her. she smiled then stood up walking out. i yawned turning around to look, seeing no one else in here. i stretched out crossing my arms, watching as the nurses cleaning up.

"i found you." i turned around seeing William. i smiled before turning back.

"that whole thing- it was amazing" i smiled.

"yeah, Alex is- she's amazing," he said sitting down behind me. i nodded, "hey, are you okay?" he asked.

i turned around so i was facing him nodding. "yeah, im all good," i said.

"ok well we should go out sometime," he said

"ok yeah sure, ill see if zara and leo want to come," i replied.

"no just us two," he smiled.

"like a date?" i asked

"no. a date," he said smiling "let me take you on a date."