28

chapter twentyeight
we're merging with which hospital?

Phoenix Raye
Perspective

most of the attendings and residents crowded around the second-floor nurses station, with sage standing on the steps looking over everyone. i leaned back against the nurse's station with zara on my right and a space on my left.

"i know you all have heard a lot of rumours, and I'm sorry for that. and what I'm about to say will be hard to hear and I'm sorry about that as well," sage spoke looking out over us, "the economic climate is- you know what it is. in the coming weeks, John Radcliffe Hospital will be merging with Warneford Hospital. i wish i could say that everyone will survive the merger but there are only so many jobs. the board and i have some tough choices to make. all i can say is please, be at your very best."

she stepped down of the stairs, walking through the crowd of people as we all stayed where we were before walking away going back to our activities.

stepping into the elevator, the doors shut before opening again with zara stepping in. "i talked to a friend of Wills last night, he use to work at warneford, about the residents there, he said they don't suck well the older residents didn't."

"your safe because of Will. everyone's good at something, i haven't been in a cardio or in months," zara complained, "and no ones got my back."

"so jumping on Will's service is your cover?" i smiled.

"not his, one of the attendings, luke bright. he's mergerproof. he keeps kids alive. no one likes a dead kid," she started before pausing, "plus, they're under anesthesia. they can't be that bad." the doors opened and she walked leaving me in there alone. soon the doors opened again and i stepped out, walking down the hallway and into the emergency room.

i stepped up towards the emergency room nurses station, checking one of the charts that were sitting behind it. "lets fit in another trauma before rounds," zara spoke as she walked up behind me.

i nodded before looking up seeing two other residents from our year standing opposite us, anthony and elissa, around the desk. "got an MVC, two minutes out. who do i got?" Ellie Cole asked as she walked past us. we all put our hands up volunteering.

"i am not in charge of you anymore. figure it out," she said grabbing a yellow trauma gown. the two in front turned back to us and we all started talking truing to get a turn before she spoke again, "Anthony, lets go."

i groaned before my phone vibrated in my pocket. pulling it out Williams names was plastered on the front with a stairwell to meet him in. turning to one of the nurses sitting behind the desk, i tucked my phone back in my pocket, "page me if anything comes through."

he nodded then i walked off and towards the stairwell that William was in. opening the door i spotted him sitting on the bottom step on his phone to someone. coming up behind him, i watched as he hung up before turning around looking at me. "what can i do for you?" i asked, continuing past him leaning on the wall opposite him.

"just wanted to see how you were doing," he said standing up, "you've been up for like 36 hours?"

"48, but im feeling good. got a whole lot of coffee pumping through me right now, so I'm good," i smiled before his pager went off, "go. i might see you tonight."

he walked towards me kissing my cheek quickly before whispering a small, "love you." 

"I'm in the ER if you need me," smiling i walked back up the stairs making my way to the emergency room.

checking my watch i read 12.30 as i walked into the cafererria. with my coffee in my hand i sat down opposite zara, smiling seeing a pink bear pinned to her white coat, "nice pin."

"his name is Mr. bear," she said seriously, "he eats children."

"not having fun in peds?" i smiled.

"well my kid wants chocolate pudding really badly and this is the last one," zara spoke taking a spoonful of the pudding in front of her.

"my AAA got canceled," Anthony said as he sat down at the table, joining us, "you guys got any surgies i can get in on?"

"i am now on posts ops and she's babysitting," i smiled at zara, enjoying how much she hates it.

"i cant stand it any longer," she complained as ashley mendoza, a second year resident and zara's step sister sat with us, "so i let a crazy man escape and he fell down a flight of stairs."

"is it surgical?" ant asked.

"i don't know, i got kicked off the case," ashley stressed containing, "so then i went to go watch a surgery, figured i couldn't screw that up. the second i get to the gallery, the shunt went south and starts bleeding. i left before elijah could blame me for it."

"his shut went bad?" anthiny asked.

"yeah they had to convert to an open craniotomy. something ill probably never get a chance to do." anthony stood up and walked away leaving us three girls here.

"i really admire you both. in case i get cit and don't get a chance to tell you," ash continues looking between both of us, "plus you're both really pretty."

i smiled as zara passed her half eaten pudding to ashley, "you can have the rest." she stood up walking off.

looking up i saw zara, ellisa and anthony walking towards me. "whats going on? you paged us."

"check your email," i said with my phone in my hand opened to my emails seeing them empty.

"for what?"

"HR, if you got cut, you'll have an email," i said putting my phone away back in my white coat pocket, "i didn't get one, but I've been calm through this crisis."

the three in front of me all pulled their phones out looking through their emails. I mumbled, "i have been calm. but if one of us gets cut, i will not be calm." silence consumed the small group as they searched their emails.

"no email," zara spoke.

"im fine," added anthony. elissa stood there's silent as she continued looking through her emails. 

she inhaled deeply before speaking, "im good, too." 

"good, okay. i knew it. i knew none of us would get cut," i said

"yet. there's gonna be another round," zara said walking off, "there's always another round."

i caught up to her following her downstairs to the main nurses station, where everyone was leaving from. zara was stood next to me, and i looked at her leaning on the desk with Will standing behind me.

"okay, lets go home," leo said as he was standing behind zara. 

"i cant. i just got kicked off peds," zara sid looking back at him, "im totally screwd." 

"zara-"

"no, im sorry. i cant sleep. i cant."

"then what was the point of me coming to pick you up?" he smiled.

"i don't know," she mumbled.

"i cant leave if shes not leaving," i said up at will.

"drinks on me?" leo asked will who nodded before kissing my cheek and walking off.

"call me if you need anything."