Unwanted Guests (Part 3)

Part three :) The team finds out a secret you haven't told anyone.

You stood at the end of your street, a good distance away from your home. Your thumb hoovered over the button on Jemma's tablet. This had to happen, you knew it, but that didn't mean it sucked any less. 

Time was running out, the bag on your shoulder was heavy and was begging to be set down. Daisy had the other one over her shoulder, but hadn't complained about the weight once.

In your head, you counted to three and on the last count, you pressed. Not even half a minute passed before the curtains in your living room caught fire. You wondered how long it would take before the neighbors would notice something.

''Come on,'' Daisy whispered gently, hating to pull you away but you couldn't risk being seen. 

You didn't cry like you thought you were going to. In the end, they were all just objects, things that could be replaced. And while it sucked to be without a house, you had a new home now. 

Somehow you always knew you'd end up with SHIELD. It was destiny. How could you have one of the best agents SHIELD has ever had as your mother and not end up one yourself? Some things were inevitable.

The flight home was silent. Nobody really knew what to say to you. FitzSimmons had gotten started on analyzing the samples and the data they had collected, while Daisy kept throwing you worried glances you wished she would stop giving. 

Maybe that's why you rushed off the jet as soon as it landed, hoisting your bag over your shoulder and putting it down on the bed in the room that was now yours. It was just as dark and windowless as Daisy's, but it had a sense of safety and coziness you liked. Her room was a couple doors over and she had reminded you her door was always open if you wanted to talk or had questions. 

''What happened to her?'' Mack asked indignantly. You had passed him, May and Coulson without sparing them a single look. 

Daisy walked out of the jet, stopping in front of the three people waiting below. ''She just set her own house on fire, Mack. I think you should give her a break.''

She wanted to keep walking, clearly with a purpose, but May's words stopped her. ''Same goes for you.''

Daisy stopped walking, gesturing to the big bag she was carrying. ''I was just going to drop this off.''

May sent Mack and Coulson a look that said: keep walking. When they were outside of earshot, she continued. ''Listen, I can see the connection between you, and I'm here for it, I am-''

Daisy groaned when she realized where this was going. ''Am I getting a dad talk from you right now?'' May seemed to miss the point where you were both in your late twenties and weren't children anymore. 

''-but she's not me,'' May finished, throwing Daisy a light glare for interrupting her. ''She acts on her feelings, emotions drive her. It makes her predictable, so you have to promise me you won't take advantage of it. Trust me, you wouldn't be the first one.''

The annoyed look had disappeared from Daisy's face. ''I would never do that, you know me.''

A knock on your door interrupted your unpacking. It wasn't hard to guess who it was, since you had left one of your two bags in the plane. You prepared yourself for a conversation, even if that was the last thing you wanted. But when you opened the door, Daisy handed you the bag without saying anything, throwing you a smile and disappearing into the hallway.

Surprised, you watched her go. Apparently she could feel exactly what you needed. The whole interaction made you smile, heart a little bit lighter than before.