The Invitation

I bounce downstairs excitedly, clutching a letter I had just recieved in my hands.

Leaning against my kitchen door, I see my Father reading The Daily Prophet at the table while half-heartedly eating breakfast. My older brother, Austin, is chasing a fake quaffle around our back garden, assumedly practicing for future Quidditch matches. I make a beeline for my Mum, standing with her back to me, pouring milk into a cup of tea. Or, more precisely, flicking her wand at the milk carton which is pouring itself while she packs her bag for work. She leaves slightly later than my Father today, so I decide I'll wait for him to leave before asking.

I busy myself making breakfast, watching him from the corner of my eye. My heart jumps as he picks up his briefcase and leaves, slamming the door behind him and heading for the Ministry. Before I can even open my mouth, my Mum starts talking.

"What is it sweetheart?"

Turning to her in confusion, I raise an eyebrow.

"You've been waiting for him to leave, I can see. Otherwise, you wouldn't have spent ten minutes picking up the milk." She giggles, but follows it with a sigh. I know she wishes we'd get on better, but he's the one who's disappointed I'm not a Gryffindor like everyone else in the family.

"I just got a letter from Fred and George! The Weasleys are inviting me-"

"To the Quidditch World Cup, I know, I got Molly's letter last night." She smiles.

"So... can I go?" I rock back and forth on my heels, grinning.

"Of course sweetheart, you can take the Floo network there on the weekend. They've offered for you to stay the next week as school then starts, so don't forget to pack for that. I need to get going, I'll see you tonight." She kisses me on the forehead and follows after my Father - she's a healer at St. Mungos.

More excited than ever, I rush into the garden to tell Austin. He's been bragging for weeks about how one of his friends invited him, and now I'm going too.

"That's great, now go away I'm practicing." He's a Gryffindor chaser.

I roll my eyes but don't let it damper my mood, rushing upstairs to scribble back a reply to the twins.

ʜᴇʏ ɢᴜʏs, ᴛʜᴀɴᴋs ғᴏʀ ɪɴᴠɪᴛɪɴɢ ᴍᴇ! ᴘᴀʀᴇɴᴛs sᴀʏ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ, sᴏ ɪ'ʟʟ sᴇᴇ ʏᴏᴜ sᴏᴏɴ. ᴀʟsᴏ, ᴛᴇʟʟ ɢɪɴɴʏ ᴛᴏ ᴄʟᴇᴀʀ ᴏᴜᴛ ʜᴇʀ ʀᴏᴏᴍ, ʙᴇᴄᴀᴜsᴇ ᴀs ᴍᴜᴄʜ ᴀs ɪ ʟᴏᴠᴇ sʟᴇᴇᴘɪɴɢ ᴏɴ ᴛᴇxᴛʙᴏᴏᴋs, ɪ'ᴅ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛᴏ sᴀᴠᴇ ᴍʏ ɴᴇᴄᴋ ғᴏʀ ǫᴜɪᴅᴅɪᴛᴄʜ.
-ʙʀɪɴʟᴇʏ

I return to the garden once again, causing Austin to sigh.

"What do you want now?" He snaps, landing on the ground.

"Hello to you too. Can I borrow your owl? Erol left after he dropped off my letter." I ask, holding up my reply with one hand.

"Get your own ruddy owl."

He runs a hand through his chestnut hair, sighing as he realises what he said.

"Fine, he's in my room."

I nod, slightly upset, and head up to his bedroom.

I'd had an owl... for a few months. My Father had taken me to Diagon Alley when I got my letter in April, but when I wrote home in September to tell him I was a Hufflepuff, my reply came from his own. I never saw her again, and I have no idea what happened to her. He apparently told my Mum she had died, but I know he wouldn't kill an animal. Probably gave her back to the store. I told Austin, but nobody else.

Attatching my letter to Hooter's leg, he takes off for The Burrow.

The next reply comes later that night, this time from a small, excitable owl which knocks over my floating model Quidditch broom from my nightstand, and hits the wall with a thud. Laughing, I take off the letter and give him a treat. Fred had told me about Pig in one of his other letters.

𝔶𝔬𝔲𝔯 𝔥𝔞𝔫𝔡𝔴𝔯𝔦𝔱𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔦𝔰 𝔰𝔱𝔦𝔩𝔩 𝔴𝔢𝔦𝔯𝔡, 𝔟𝔲𝔱 𝔰𝔢𝔢 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔰𝔬𝔬𝔫! -𝔤𝔢𝔬𝔯𝔤𝔢
𝓗𝓲 𝓑𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓵𝓮𝔂! -𝓖𝓲𝓷𝓷𝔂

Smiling, I write back a reply and send Pig off with it into the night.

❤💛❤💛

Folding away clothes in my trunk, I find myself suddenly looking forward to the day I can use magic outside of school.

"Brinley come on! You're meant to be there in ten minutes!" I hurry as my Mum yells up the stairs.

"I'm almost done!" I call back.

Wand, school books, normal books, clothes, uniform, all my other school stuff... we're good.

I rush downstairs with my trunk banging behind me, setting it down as I feel for my wand in my jean pocket - sometimes it falls out when I run, I'm not very careful. Quickly doing up the laces on my canvas shoes, I straighten my t-shirt.

As I pull my trunk into the fireplace, Austin pokes his head round the door.

"Bye Brinley, might see you at the World Cup."

I wave as he leaves, hugging my Mum and stepping into the fireplace.

"The Burrow!" I call, dropping the powder from my hand as cool green flames surround me.

Pulled into darkness, I tumble out onto the floor of the Weasley's kitchen, trunk skidding in front of me as I hit my mouth on the side. Suddenly, hands grab my shoulders and drag me up carefully.

"Graceful." Two identical voices comment. I turn around, giggling, before throwing myself at the twins.

"You missed us?" Fred asks with a smirk.

Stepping back, I scoff.

"Are you kidding? I've been bored out of my mind!"

Ginny suddenly rounds the corner, giving me a small wave before running back towards the stairs. I turn to the twins with a questioning gaze.

"She maybe didn't tidy her room." George shrugs, to which I laugh.

Merlin, I missed this.

❤💛❤💛

This is a short chapter, as it's based on the book, and that chapter is also short.

As a reminder, this story will contain mild homophobia later on, but this is not a good thing, and will not be tolerated in comments or DM's.

I hope everyone enjoys, story will be updated at least twice a week ☺.

Also, please don't skip chapters! More Hermione content is upcoming but Brinley has other aspects to her life, e.g her friends, family, quidditch, past, etc. You'll miss lots of things if you skip!