The First Task

Here we sit, in an empty classroom, trying to teach Harry the Charm he's been struggling with the most in less than twenty four hours.

Hermione starts to get impatient with him, so I take over for a bit.

"Ok, ok, so instead of picturing the thing in your hands, picture it moving, because that's what the charm is about. Put emphasis on the double c, and move your wand to the right more."

Lessons and hours and Peeve attacks later, we stand in the Gryffindor common room, surrounded by a variety of objects. I've been distracted by Neville's toad, which I'm now talking to while Hermione and Harry carry on practicing. Eventually, Harry notices my chatter.

"Erm, Brinley, what... what are you doing?"

"The toad looked sad so I'm talking to him."

I turn to see Hermione smiling fondly at me and Harry looking extremely confused.

Ten minutes later, he's aced the spell, and after quick congratulations, I hurry back to my common room underneath the Cloak Harry leant me, through Hermione's suggestion. He seemed really uncomfortable about it, so I'll make sure to return it right away.

Nobody wakes up when I come in, and nobody questions where I've been when we wake up just a few hours later.

While getting ready, I apply a generous layer of concealer on the increasingly dark circles under my eyes.

Most people are unspeakably excited, but the champions, Hermione and myself know what's coming, and it's clear we don't feel so good about it. Still, nobody aside from Allison will talk to me (although Hannah and Susan still acknowledge my existence with a feeble smile).

"They'll get over it." Allison shrugs, finishing her meal.

"I hope so." Not hungry, I push my food away and leave early to line up for my first class.

Lessons commenced at midday, until Professor McGonagall hurried Harry away from us at Lunch, seemingly as worried as we were.

"Good luck, Harry." Hermione whispers, but he doesn't react.

"He'll be fine, he's killed an evil teacher and a basilisk, and run from a werewolf into a pack of dementors. A dragon will be nothing." I try to reassure her, but also myself.

As Lunch comes to an end, we head down from the castle and outside, filing into seats in the makeshift stands amongst hundreds of students. Fred and George are sat behind Hermione and I, while Ron is carefully watching from a corner.

It seems like only seconds before Cedric is emerging from the tent to face his dragon. He transfigures something into a dog, the dragon now confused. The distraction lasts long enough for him to get the egg, but he recieves a burn to the side of his face as he rushes back. I clap one hand over my mouth and hold the other one in Hermione's, who also seems surprised. The twins let out a low whistle and I'm pretty sure I hear someone say Cedric won't be a 'pretty-boy' anymore.

After he returns and the judges show their scores, Fluer exits the tent. She walks with her head high and her wand out, though it's clear she's slightly trembling.

It takes her ten minutes to get the egg after putting the dragon in a sleep-like daze. Her only problem was the dragon snorted and her skirt set fire, but she put it out quickly.

Krum is next, giving some kind of conjunctivitis to the dragon in order to swipe his egg and run, but he looses marks because the dragon broke some other eggs. I wince, somehow feeling bad for the dragons.

Then, Harry walks in. The crowd's making a great deal of noise, but Hermione and I are silent, squeezing each others hands in bone crushing grip.

To our relief, it works - his firebolt zooms over the spectator's heads and more noise is made. Oh thank Merlin. I block out Bagman's commentary as I focus on Harry, surveying the skies before making his move.