End of Year

Cedric's memorial service at the school was almost worse than his death. So much had happened so quickly after the intial event, I hadn't even processed it.

I wasn't particularly close with Cedric. We were friendly, he captained the Quidditch team and he always said I was a good flier, but we weren't best friends. I can't imagine what it's like for them, for Cho, for his family.

I hardly listen during Dumbledore's speech, staring at the table dully. I liked Cedric, I still like him, even though he's gone. He was a good person.

After the service, Professor Sprout pulls me aside.

"Officially I can't say this, but I think Cedric Diggory would want you to know he appointed you as the Hufflepuff team captain."

"Thank you Professor." I give the best smile I can manage, before leaving and letting it drop off my face.

I can't change the fact that Cedric isn't here. I can't change the fact he'll never get to live out his life. I can't change the fact his dreams are over. I can't change facts.

But if there's one thing I can do, it's get him the victory he always wanted for Hufflepuff. I'll take the captain position, and we'll win.

Most importantly, nobody will forget him.

❤💛❤💛

Harry, Hermione, Ron and I settle into a train compartment, Crookshanks curled up on my lap.

Hermione pulls out a copy of the Prophet, which Harry eyes warily.

"There's nothing in there," she says calmly, "You can look for yourself, but there's nothing at all. I've been checking every day. Just a small piece after the third task, saying you won the Tournament, didn't even mention Cedric. Nothing about any of it. Fudge is clearly forcing them to keep quiet."

"He'll never keep Rita quiet, not on a story like this." Harry insists, to which I hold back a small smile.

"Oh, Rita hasn't written anything at all since the third task." Hermione's voice is oddly constrained, as though trembling.

"As a matter of fact, Rita Skeeter isn't going to be writing anything at all for a while. Not unless she wants us to write something about her." I smirk.

"What are you two talking about?" Ron says impatiently.

"I found out how she was listening to everything!" Hermione bursts out in a rush.

After she explains Rita is an unregistered Animagus, and how she found out, she nods to me.

"Would you like to do the honours Brin?"

I pull the small, sealed glass jar I've been keeping for a few days out of my bag.

"Meet Rita Skeeter, the beetle. Rita Beetle. The Beetle Skeeter. Caught her hanging around my hospital bed." I grin, passing the boys the jar.

No sooner are we laughing than Draco Malfoy comes storming in, instantly trying to taunt us.

Before he can insult Cedric any more, the three Slytherins are hit by six different hexes. Hermione, Ron, Harry, myself and the twins, who appear behind them.

The Slytherin girl I helped in Charms class while I was trying to ignore Draco's bullying hesitates as she passes.

"Hi Kayla." I wave with a smile. She smiles back at me, looking at the boys on the floor.