The Unforgivable Curses

Three days into lessons now, nothing of great incident has happened, but the air is tense with excitement as the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs line up outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts class. All of us got here early, whether scared or excited.

Hermione skids in just in time, telling Harry and Ron (who guessed correctly) that she was at the library. They sit down next to me in the front row.

A minute or so passes before Moody enters the room, announcing his presence with the sharp order of 'put your books away'.

After a short outburst from Ron at the news he's only staying for a year, Mad-Eye starts to talk about curses, everyone's eyes fixated on him keenly. And just when it couldn't get anymore unorthodox, he asks about the Forbidden Curses. Ron answers the first one, the Imperius Curse, mind control.

He makes a spider jump around erratically, which is met by laughter from some - Moody stamps it out quickly.

Then, to everyone's surprise, Neville answers the second question, the Cruciatus Curse. Neville, who usually only gives up information in Herbology, knowing about a Forbidden Curse? People's shock is understandable.

Moody begins torturing the spider (after enlarging it) with the curse. It rolls around on it's back in pain, and while it doesn't have a voice, I imagine it's screaming. It's eyes swivel loosely in their sockets as it writhes. Bile rises in my throat, and I feel like throwing up as I feel the colour drain from my face.

I was just old enough when this curse hurt my family, just old enough to remember the screaming while I hid in a cupboard with my brother. Just old enough for the years of nightmares and fear of the dark.

And I've never told anyone.

Starting to shiver, I look away and see Neville, eyes wide and horrified, knuckles clenched. I know I mustn't look much better.

"Stop it!" Hermione yells, slightly shrilly. Her gaze is switching between Neville and I, the whole class quickly following suit.

I blank out what Moody is saying from that point on, wondering how I was ever excited for this lesson. He kills the spider eventually, and I look away once more. Even when he yells CONSTANT VIGILANCE I don't stir, just staring at my fingers as I squeeze them together under the desk.

When the bell rings, Neville and I are the first ones out of the classroom, walking side by side until we stop halfway up the passage for no reason.

"Neville? Brinley?" A gentle voice causes us to turn around, face to face with the trio.

"Oh, hello. Interesting lesson, wasn't it? Wonder what's for dinner, I'm- I'm starving, aren't you?" He replies in a high-pitched voice, while I stay silent, scuffing my shoes.

Hermione asks if we're ok, to which Neville rambles and I don't meet their eyes. Before any of them can question us, Moody approaches, inviting Neville and myself into his office. Neville goes along, terrified, but I excuse myself firmly, speed walking away with my head down.

Instead of going to dinner, I tucked myself into an alcove in a corridor, head on my knees as I bit back tears.

I know why my Dad is so annoyed I'm in Hufflepuff, I know why he's scared, and I know he distances himself because he's sure he'll loose me some day. I know. And normally, I'm fine with it, I move on, I don't stay trapped in a very dark past. But I can't right now, and all the years of pushing past that are flying out the window.

It takes a whopping three minutes for Hermione to find me, but then I remember the twins gave Harry the map last year.

"Brin?" She kneels down in front of me, worried, and places a hand on my leg.