The Quidditch World Cup

We hurry into the woods, following Mr Weasley down the brightly lit trail. Thousands of people mill around us, and I have to run to keep up - all ten people are taller than me, and they're all faster.

"Why are you skipping?" George laughs as I appear beside him.

"Because I don't want to run and you're all too fast. Besides it's fun."

"You remind me of Luna Lovegood sometimes." Ginny notes. I don't know who that is so I just laugh as we carry on walking.

Finally, we reach the huge stadium which Mr Weasley comments can seat a hundred thousand people, apparently five hundred Ministry employees have been working on it all year.

According to the witch standing at the entrance, we have prime seats in the Top Box. Now more excited than ever, I bounce alongside everyone.

We keep walking past the many rows until we reach a small box situated halfway between the golden goalposts. It's filled with about thirty purple chairs, the first row of which we sit along. It's empty, other than a small house elf called Winky which Harry strikes up conversation with, about another elf called Dobby.

Everyone starts testing out their merchandise, ready to use whatever it is they have on the matches.

"Why didn't you get one of those Omnioculars?" George asks, sitting down on my left while Fred sits on my right.

"Well, my Mum didn't have much money to give me and I want to save it for Hogsmeade." They nod as we turn back to the match. Everyone starts to settle in when an announcement is made about a team mascot display.

Mr Weasley assures us it'll be a great show.

A few important people file into our books, including the Minister himself. Then, the Malfoy's enter, the majority of our party tensing as Lucius introduces Narcissa and Draco to the Minister.

"Good Lord, Arthur," his voice was soft, but clearly had a sharp, mocking edge to it, "What did you have to sell to get seats in the Top Box? Surely your house wouldn't have fetched this much?"

Before anyone can retort, Cornelius Fudge returns to the conversation. He says something about Lucius donating to St Mungos.

Then, I notice him curling his lips derisively at Hermione, a muggle-born. However, he wouldn't dare say anything in front of the Minister. I still don't want to let it go.

"Read any good books lately Draco? Perhaps old diaries?" A seemingly innocent question, but knowing what Ginny had told me all about from my second year, it's anything but innocent to us, the trio and the Malfoys. Draco sneers at me, along with his Father, before walking away. Hermione laughs at me after they do, to which I smile.

"Slimy gits." Ron mutters, also smirking.

Ludo suddenly charges into the box, and once he's been assured everyone is ready, shoots a spell called Sonorus at his throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen... welcome! Welcome to the final of the four hundred and twenty-second Quidditch World Cup!"

His voice booms across the stadium, met by loud screams and claps from the huge, international audience. Flags wave as a scoreboard flashes up, showing zero for both sides.

As Bagman calls in the Bulgarian team mascots, a hundred beautiful women called Veela stream into the stadium. They began to dance, all the males in the area going glaze-eyed. I attempt to hide the fact I'm staring, but it's hard.

Their skin shines as though given by the moon, white-gold hair fanning out in waves behind them, piercing eyes looking right into their souls. As they move, I'm unable to tear my eyes away from their etheral beauty, before I feel eyes burning into the side of my head. I turn to see Hermione looking at me, her face a mix between confusion and annoyance.

Quickly, I look away, and I think I see Hermione smile to herself. I play with my fingers while I wait for the Veela to leave.

As they leave, Hermione starts to scold Ron and Harry who seem to no longer be supporting Ireland.

"Wow." Fred laughs, while George whistles slightly. They lean back in their seats before looking at each other and saying 'nice' in unison.

"Did you see them?" George turns to me.

"No!" I exclaim, far to quickly, "I mean, yeah, I guess."

The twins look at each other in confusion before turning back to the match.

Smooth, I mentally roll my eyes at myself.

Then, Ludo introduces the Irish Mascots, a green and gold comet shooting around the pitch, turning into rainbows, then lastly a giant shamrock which rains gold over the stands. A few people catch it in their hands, Ron shoving some back at Harry. I catch a few Galleons and pocket them, as the shamrock returns to the ground and splits into many tiny leprechauns.

One by one, the players from both teams fly into the stadium, scarlet and emerald. There's a brief pause after a player named Viktor Krum flies in, everyone cheering at his entrance - Ron seems to worship this guy.

The match is a flurry of colours, screams and cheers. It's the best time I've had all summer. This morning's exhaustion is wiped clean from my mind as we jump and boo and laugh. The Irish Chasers are brilliant, a seamless team.

Eventually, the match speeds up, Bulgarian beaters breaking the Irish Chasers ranks and allowing Bulgarian chasers to score their first goal. The Veela began to dance once more in celebration, but we all put our fingers in our ears to focus on the match.

Then, the Irish seeker gets flattened to the floor by Krum's feint - the Bulgarian manages to pull out of the dive in time. I curse under my breath, having spotted the maneuver before the others, and hoping Lynch would've figured it out. Mediwizards quickly help cure him with a variety of potions while Krum circles above, searching for the Snitch.

Lynch clambers up from the ground as everyone cheers, large fields of emerald green rippling across the arena.

Fifteen minutes pass, Ireland scoring ten more goals in the time. Ireland in the lead, Bulgaria start to get angry, the Keeper getting a warning from the referre for elbowing and Irish chaser, giving the green team a penalty.

All the boys stuff their fingers in their ears as the Veela dance, which I try to do without anyone seeing me. For a moment, I think Hermione does too, before she starts tugging at Harry and pointing at the referee, who seems to be flexing his muscles, although I can't see much from this distance.

Ludo amusedly orders someone to slap the referee out of it, prompting a mediwizard to run across and kick him in the shins.

A few penalties in Ireland's favour later, the leprechauns formed a large explicit hand gesture, causing the Veela to become mutinous, their beauty vanishing as the mascots fought beneath them.

Krum's nose cracks as he takes a bludger to the face, but follows in a dive after Lynch, the Snitch now in both of their sights. Lynch hits the ground once again, stampeded by the horde of angry Veela.

"The Snitch, where's the Snitch?" Charlie bellows along the row.

The Snitch is revealed in Krum's hand, the scoreboard flashing - Ireland wins by ten points!

Ireland supporters leap into the air, screaming and cheering. Fred and George especially, given all the money they bet earlier.

I smile, also yelling and jumping.

❤💛❤💛

Two more shorter chapters before we return to Hogwarts for the full ones!

Hope everyone's enjoying 😊.