Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes

While I sit in the kitchen with Ginny drinking tea, Mrs Weasley is loudly changing sheets upstairs. Suddenly, Fred steps out from the fireplace, making me jump and spill tea down my front.

"Damn it." I curse, taking off my jacket as Ginny and Fred laugh. Glaring at them, I jump again when George appears, carrying a trunk I assume to be Harry's.

"Calm down Brinley." George snickers as I throw him another glare. Still, I take his advice and settle into the chair, only to leap up again when Ron came out, spilling yet more tea down my top.

Luckily, I'm wearing a long-sleeved under the short-sleeved one, which I shrug off, now cold.

"Ok, I'm stepping away from hazards until everyone is back." I groan, the four still laughing hysterically.

Finally, Harry tumbles out just as ungracefully as I did two days prior.

"Did he eat it?" Fred bounces excitedly, pulling Harry to his feet.

"Yeah," Harry replies, brushing himself down, "What was it?"

"Ton-Tongue Toffee," Fred grins, "George and I invented them, we've been looking for someone to test them on all summer..."

Everyone bursts into laughter, including me, Bill and Charlie entering the room too. While they introduce themselves to Harry, I turn back to Ginny.

"Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes, they were making joke products all summer, Mum took them all. She won't be happy." Ginny explains before I ask. I nod, silently praying to Merlin for the twins - I love Molly, but if she gets involved, I'll need to beg for mercy on the behalf of their souls.

Arthur then appears, beginning to yell at the twins, who are still trying to surpress their laughter while Harry tries to assure Mr Weasley that Dudley is a 'great bullying git'. Then, Mrs Weasley gets involved, and Ginny drags me out of the kitchen, closely followed by Ron, Harry and Hermione.

Hermione arrived yesterday, but I haven't spoken to her yet. Nobody knows anything about it, but I've had a small crush on her since last year, which I realised around the time she punched Malfoy. A small, irrelevant crush, because Hermione is probably straight, nobody knows I'm not, and we've only had three one-on-one conversations.

While we climb the zigzag staircases and navigate through the halls, Ron and Ginny inform Harry of Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes. Hermione grumbles under her breath.

A door on the second landing swings open, a face sporting horn-rimmed glasses and an extremely annoyed expression poking out.

"Hi, Percy." Harry greets.

Ron glares, which goes unnoticed by everyone but me.

"Oh, hello, Harry," Percy's reply sounds suspiciously like he's not happy to see us, "I was wondering who was making all the noise. I'm trying to work in here, you know - I've got a report to finish for the office - and it's rather difficult to concentrate when people keep thundering up and down the stairs."

"We're not thundering," Ron snaps back, "We're walking. Sorry if we've disturbed the top-secret workings of the Ministry of Magic."

While Percy explains cauldron leaks and Ron mocks him, I turn to Ginny.

"So, Percy got the job he wanted?"

"Yeah, and he's been a real arse ever since." She rolls her eyes.

We continue walking up to Ron's room, Ron complaining about Percy being a prat, Pigwidgeon's name and the rooming situations. Ginny and I break off into our own conversation, ignoring the loud yelling of Mrs Weasley.

Ron trails off his sentence, the trio glancing at us uncertaintly. We look between them curiously, before the subject is quickly changed and we all retreat downstairs. Molly instantly puts the others to work, while I slip a few floors up and slide into Fred and George's room. They're sitting grimly at their desk, talking in a low voice.

"Hey guys..."

They turn in synchronization, with a half-hearted grin.

"Hey bestie." George beckons me over. Shutting the door with a smile, I sit down next to them.

"You guys all good?"

"Eh, certified family disappointments, we'll be fine." Fred waves it off.

Suddenly, loud crashing noises come from the garden. We rush down to see Bill and Charlie fighting with their tables, wands conducting them through the air. Fred and George start to cheer while Ginny folds over in laughter. My eyes quickly find Hermione, hovering by a bush. She seems torn between amusement and anxiety.

Percy bends out his window, bellowing down at the two oldest siblings. Apologising with slightly mocking smiles that Percy doesn't pick up on, they return their tables to the ground.

❤💛❤💛

After dinner, Percy starts hinting at secret events, Mrs Weasley complains about Bill's hair, Charlie and the twins discuss the upcoming Quidditch World Cup, and Mr Weasley decorates the dark garden with candles with a flick of his wands. I join the Quidditch conversation.

"Brinley, you play don't you?" Charlie inquires.

I nod with a smile, "Hufflepuff Chaser since first year."

"What broom do you have?" Harry eagerly chips in, seemingly trying to absorb everything he'd missed since being holed up in Privet Drive.

Fred and George shoot me a look, to which I shake my head. Lots of people, those two included, use school brooms, it shouldn't inspire many questions, even if my family are pretty well-off and well known.

"Whatever's available from the school."

Harry nods, and we go back to talking about Ireland's prospects and England's failure.

Mrs Weasley sends us all to bed not long after, Fred making a comment about dragon dung in Percy's work tray - apparently they'd sent him some.

I head back up to Ginny's room with Hermione, the two of us settling into sleeping bags after changing into pyjamas. Ginny clambers down to the floor with a spare sleeping bag after a few minutes, claiming it 'feels weird talking down to us'.

"We should probably get to sleep, we have to be up early tomorrow." Hermione suggests, to which Ginny and I agree, settling down.

❤💛❤💛

Like the book, I'm trying to keep the intro chapters short, so they can be longer when we get to the good stuff.

I hope you're enjoying so far ☺.

Also, please don't skip chapters! More Hermione content is upcoming but Brinley has other aspects to her life, e.g her friends, family, quidditch, past, etc. You'll miss lots of things if you skip!