The Outing

After many, many hours are poured into helping Harry practice (and neglecting studying for end of years), the morning of the final task finally arrives.

However, the bad feeling in my stomach is answered before breakfast even ends. The Daily Prophet soars to a few students, one of them being Allison. I don't clock anything's wrong until she drops her spoon a few minutes later. Similar reactions occur around the room and I realise people are staring between me and Harry.

"What's going on?" I look around, confused. Allison hands me the newspaper with a weird look.

HARRY POTTER AND BRINLEY FERN - DISTURBED CHILDREN

Harry Potter, previously thought to be an innocent boy caught in a love square, is actually very unstable. Before we tackle that, writes Rita Skeeter, there's some interesting news that's arrived on the previously unnamed point of the love square: Brinley Fern.

Miss Fern, the girl dating Hermione Granger, is actually one of three, not of two, as believed by most. No, there's an older sibling. Rebecca Fern, now twenty three years old, lies in a bed at St Mungos, tortured to insanity by the Lestranges in 1983! But wait, weren't the Lestranges imprisoned in 1981? Turn to page seven for all the details!

Unable to read any more, I stand up and run out of the hall, choking back a sob. Several chairs scrape as I leave, potienally more people following me out, but I outrun them all.

Locking myself in a storage room, I break into tears, crying so hard my chest hurts. Only yesterday, I'd felt so good about telling someone at last, and now not only are my parents going to wake up this morning and find out their biggest secret is out, they're going to find out I'm gay.

To my surprise, the door is unlocked by... Dumbledore?

"Hello Miss Fern. Would you care to join me in my office?

After a short walk in which I wipe my eyes quickly, I sit down opposite him at his desk.

"Can I get you some tea Brinley?"

"I'm ok thank you sir."

"First of all, I'd like to apologize. Rita Skeeter continues to somehow invade this castle's grounds. Secondly, I'd like to assure you that Mr Longbottom did not betray your trust to this woman. Thirdly, I think it'd be wise if you skip your exams today, I'll have a word with your teachers. Lastly-" A knock on the door cuts him off, "Ah, yes, that should be them. Come in!"

Professor McGonagall opens the door, and two people walk in. My parents. My heart rate instantly picks up, and it feels like it's going to smash through my ribcage.

"Thank you Minerva." She nods and leaves, shutting the door behind her.

"I'll give you a moment." Dumbledore exits through a back door into what I assume are his living quarters. My Mum looks down at me nervously, but my Dad scans the portraits on the walls, refusing to meet my gaze.

"What happened, Brinley?" Mum breaks after a minute of silence.

"I... I was talking to Neville Longbottom. He told me about his parents and I told him about... about Rebecca."

"How could you? We told you not to tell anyone! Do you know the position this puts the Ministry in?" My Father hisses at me.