The Dark Mark

Now settled into my bed, I stare at the bottom of Ginny's bunk with a grin. What a great day. Ginny is clearly sound asleep, lightly snoring. I turn over to see Hermione still awake.

"Hey." I whisper with a small smile. She starts slightly before turning to me.

"Hey, Brin."

"Did you have a good day?"

"Yes, actually. I've never like Quidditch much, but it was great." I can just make out her smile in the dark.

"Do you watch the matches at school?"

"I do, but only because Ron and Harry do. I know you were saying earlier that Gryffindor deserved the win last year, and that may be true, I don't really know, but you were an amazing flyer. I don't know much about Quidditch but it was obvious, you were great."

"Thanks Hermione." Thank Merlin for the night, for however much I hate it, it's doing a great job at concealing what is probably a heavy blush.

"You're welcome... we should probably get some sleep now, it's been a long day."

With some sound of agreement, we both roll over, and I fall asleep with a huge smile on my face.

❤💛❤💛

I'm awoken roughly only a few hours later by the twins shaking us awake. Dazed, we all step up, wrapping coats around our nighties.

"S'matter?" I yawn. They don't answer, but tug the three of us out. The noise is deafening, hundreds of people stampeding, but not in the celebratory way from before - this is fear. We rejoin the group, Mr Weasley gathering us round.

Odd flashes of light adorn the sky, loud gunfire noises causing people to scream. A group of masked wizards march tightly together, wands straight up, supporting what seems to be four flying puppets, two exceptionally small. They're being twisted into grotesque and uncomfortable shapes. A few tents catch fire, causing me to scream and latch on to one of the twins.

They get closer, as we wait for Mr Weasley to tell us what to do. When I notice what, or rather who, the puppets are, bile rises into my throat. The muggle from the campsite entrance, and, presumably, his wife and children.

"That's sick," Ron mutters, just audible over the crowd, "That is really sick..."

Bill, Charlie and Percy emerge fully dressed from the boy's tent, sleeves rolled and wands out. Mr Weasley sprints with them to help the Ministry, after giving us strict instructions to run for the forest. Everyone starts running, Ron pulling Harry, Fred pulling Ginny and George pulling me, when I realise Hermione isn't moving, still staring at the muggles.

"Hermione!" I scream.

"She'll be fine, we have to go!" George tugs at my arm.

"No, she's not moving!" I yell, pulling my arm out of his, "Just go, I'll be fine don't worry, I can handle myself."

George tries to follow me but gets lost in the crowd.

"Hermione, come on!" I grab her arm and pull her away from the oncoming crowd. We run through as she snaps back to reality, trying to find the others.

"Maybe we should stop here and look for them." Hermione calls out as we sprint.

"Can't. Hermione, they're clearly a muggle hating group, and if they've managed to crash a high security ministry event, I'm pretty sure they'll be on the lookout for muggleborns."