The Portkey

After minimal hours of sleep, the house is tiredly slumping around the house, half-dressed, brushing teeth, eating cereal, nobody having any energy whatsoever.

I bump into Hermione coming out of the bathroom - she's fully dressed now but I'm still in pyjama shorts and a tank top.

"Oh, hey Brinley." She smiles, moving past me and back downstairs, thankfully not seeing the slight blush spreading across my pale face.

Stop blushing you idiot, she's going to think you're weird if she sees.

I quickly dress into an oversized red hoodie that I'm pretty sure is Austin's and a pair of denim shorts, before slipping on my canvas shoes and a rucksack. Deciding there's no time to brush it, I hastily run my fingers through my blonde waves, then rushing downstairs upon hearing Mrs Weasley's cry of 'where have those girls got to to?'.

I enter the kitchen to hear a conversation about splinching. Quickly observing everyone's muggle clothing, I note they all did well. My Mum being a muggle-born, I've never had a big issue with blending into muggle society. Looking over at Hermione accidentally, I notice her surveying everyone's clothes too, bringing a small smile to my face before I walk over to the twins as the Apparition talk ends.

"Who're we waiting on now?"

"Ginny, and... Hermione, she just went back up for something." George answers, peering down at me weirdly.

"Ok then. Why are you looking at me like that?" I giggle.

"I don't know... it's just, almost four years of friendship and I've never really noticed how small you are."

I roll my eyes, shoving him slightly. "No, not like you comment on it all the time. Besides, I'm not even that small."

The two laugh as the other girls appear, and we set out after a quick argument between the twins and Molly as she found and confiscated more of their joke sweets.

As we leave the house, I severly regret putting on shorts - it's summer, but the moon is still out, it's early, and chilly. I walk with the twins in silence as they glower, annoyed that six months of their work was just thrown away.

When I'm certain we're out of earshot of Mr Weasley - or worse, Percy - I tap the twins and they stop, allowing us to lag behind slightly.

"I grabbed a few of your sweets when your Mum was making them fly around the kitchen." I deposit handfuls of the toffees into their hands, which they quickly shove into jacket linings and jean turn-ups. They smile at me, accompanied with thanks. Realising it's going to be a long walk, I smirk as an idea dawns on me.

"Y'know how you could really thank me? Carry me on your back, I don't feel like walking."

Not expecting them to agree at all, I'm surprised when George slings me onto his back. I laugh as we walk - or, they walk.

"You weigh about as much as one of these toffees." He notes, to which I lightly hit the back of his head.

Mr Weasley then explains the organizational issues that the World Cup has bought, and how they've used Portkeys to gather a hundred thousand witches and wizards into one area.

Halfway towards the hill, George trades me off to Fred.

"This is fine, but I'm not carrying you up that hill."

I laugh, which causes Hermione to turn. She smiles before going back to her heated conversation with Ginny about Prefects.

For a moment, I think Fred and George catch me looking, but I brush it off - even if they did, it means nothing, I've never told them I like girls. Honestly, I doubt I ever will. I'm an open person, typically, but it's different.

Eventually, we reach the bottom of Stoatshead Hill, and Fred gently drops me to the ground as the eight of us start to climb. Seeing as I barely walked upon leaving the house, it's considerably easier for me.

We spread out once we reach the top, ten minutes to find the Portkey. Suddenly, a voice calls out, beckoning us over.

Mr Weasley introduces us to Amos Diggory and his son, Cedric, whom I obviously already know, considering he's the captain of Hufflepuff's team. The twins didn't reply to his friendly greeting, annoyed because we beat them last year.

"By your logic you should be ignoring me as well." I subtly whisper to them. They roll their eyes at me, but I still catch them smiling. Mr Weasley continues with introductions on our side, before Amos begings to brag about Cedric's victory last year, causing the twins to scowl again.

"Harry fell off his broom, Dad," Cedric defends.

"Yes, but you didn't fall off did you, neither did Brinley here." He begins to laugh, and seeing Harry's uncomfortable shifting, I step in.

"With all due respect, neither of us were attacked by dementors."

Fred and George hide approving smiles while Harry and Cedric look at me gratefully. Amos goes pink and looks like he's going to retort before Mr Weasley interjects.

"Must nearly be time. Do you know whether we're waiting for any more Amos?"

"No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn't get tickets. There aren't any more of us in this area." Mr Diggory responds, no longer looking at me. My thudding heart settles again - I hate disagreeing with people, especially adults, and especially ones I don't know.

We all crowd around after Mr Weasley's quick explanation to Harry and Hermione, each placing a finger on the manky boot Amos found. Within seconds, the world swims far too fast, making me feel ill as I'm sucked around. It's like my organs got left behind.

As quickly as it started it ends, everyone staggering around. Arthur, Amos, Cedric and the twins land on their feet, but Ginny, the trio and I are deposited on the floor.

Harry and Ginny clamber up, respectively pulling Ron and Hermione. Fred extends his hand to which I accept, brushing myself off - as if my hair wasn't tangled before. Ignoring the urge to throw up, I observe the misty moor we're standing on.

Two men incorrectly trying to dress as muggles approach Mr Weasley with a clipboard while I turn to Fred and George with a grin.

"We're almost there!"

❤💛❤💛

We're almost there too - by there I mean the good stuff.

All I have to say is interesting Hermione things will be happening next chapter 👀😉.