Aboard the Hogwarts Express

While we eat breakfast, Mr Weasley has to hastily depart because Mad-Eye Moody's dustbins attacked thin air, causing muggles to call the police. My Dad doesn't think very highly of Moody, but Mr Weasley and Dumbledore do, so my guess is he's trustworthy if anything.

Bill and Charlie come to Kings Cross to see us all off, but Percy apologizes profusely, insisting Mr Crouch was relying on him.

"Yeah, you know what Percy? I reckon he'll know your name soon." George remarks seriously.

Muggle taxis transported us to the station, very disconcerted by the owls, the trunks, and so on. The journey is increasingly uncomfortable, and I have to sit on Fred's lap, and Ginny on George's for lack of space. The Muggles seem very concerned about the fact this is illegal, but they drive anyway.

As we're chivvied towards the train doors, Bill and Charlie hint at something that's going to happen at Hogwarts, but won't say anymore than that, just looking at us with annoying, knowing smiles. Even Mrs Weasley notes something about how we won't want to come home for the Christmas holidays.

Fred and George disappear to talk to Lee Jordan, apologizing and saying they'll catch up with me later, to which I give a bemused shrug and look for an empty compartment. I pass the trio, but they look busy, so I go to carry on looking. Hermione, however, spots me in the window and beckons for me to come in. The boys look at me warily but shrug and make room for me.

They talk about Durmstrang, a school that Malfoy apparently wishes he'd been sent to. Hermione remarks it must be somewhere cooler, up North, as fur capes are part of the uniform.

"Ah, think of the possibilities," Ron sighs dreamily, "It would've been so easy to push Malfoy off a glacier and make it look like an accident... shame his mother likes him..."

The three of us laugh, before Harry comments about wanting something off the trolley, which has already passed us.

"I'll go." Hermione digs around for some coins, "Come with me Brin?" I nod and follow her out.

Before we catch up, a few jittery second years shove past us, causing Hermione to fall into the wall I'm now pressed against. She catches herself with her hand, and I realise how close we are. She looks down at me as I hold my breath, our dark eyes locked.

Suddenly, a firework goes off in the cart next to us, causing us both to snap back to reality and hurry back into our compartment.

"Did you get some?" Ron asks eagerly.

"Huh?"

"Food, from the trolley?"

"Oh... we couldn't catch up." Hermione shrugs as we both sit down, causing the boys to frown at each other.

"It was only up the-" Harry starts, but I cut him off.

"It wasn't there, we couldn't catch up with it, Hermione just told you, it wasn't there."

The afternoon progresses, less awkward, and everyone forgets what happened. Throughout that time, a few Gryffindors check in on us - Seamus Finnigan, Dean Thomas, Neville Longbottom - all seemingly surprised that someone else was sitting with the trio. We talk about Quidditch, and the Cup, which Hermione grows bored of and starts to learn the Summoning charm.

"Brinley, right?" Neville looks at me. I nod with a smile and he continues, "Do you play Quidditch?"

"Yeah, I'm a Chaser on the Hufflepuff team."

Our conversation is cut off a few minutes later, when Malfoy shows up with Crabbe and Goyle. He finds Ron's dress robes and begins to mock him, before hinting at whatever the Weasleys were talking about earlier. Eventually, he realises we don't know.

"Don't tell me you don't know? You've got a father and a brother at the Ministry and you don't even know? Merlin, my father told me about it ages ago." After a few seconds of more mocking, I get sick of it and stand, pushing him over the threshold with my hand on the sliding door.

"Ooh, Hufflepuff's getting invol-" I slam the door before he can finish talking. He leaves, confused. The six Gryffindors look at me in shock, to which I just shrug.

"Gets on my nerves, the little git."

The evening comes around as hours wear on, everyone changing into their robes as we draw closer. Until we eventually exit the train and head to the horseless carriages. I wave goodbye to the trio and find the twins.

"Sorry we ditched you, we had some things to sort out." George explains, helping me up.

"It's fine, I got to slam a door in front of Malfoy mid-sentence."

"Bet he didn't like that." Fred chortles.

"Be careful though, git or not he still has the ability to make your life hell."

"Coming from the Kings of pranking themselves. Don't worry about me, as long as he underestimate me I'll keep showing him up." I shrug, twirling my wand in my hands.

❤💛❤💛

Everyone hurries up the steps to get out of the rain, only for some unlucky ones to be pelted with water balloons by Peeves.

Professor McGonagall, arguably my favourite teacher in this school, yells angrily at the poltergeist, as she cleans up the water and dries to soaked students. I part from my other friends to sit at the Hufflepuff table next to Susan Bones, a girl I share a dorm with.

"Hey Brinley, have a good holiday?"

"Sort of." I laugh, slipping into conversation with others from my house.

My closest friends, Fred and George, may not be in Hufflepuff, and even my other friends, Ginny and so on, may not be either, but my other house members are still easy to talk to, and I like them just the same.

The Sorting begins after the hat's ever changing song is over. I see the twins glaring at a first year Slytherin, to which I narrow my eyes. I'll sort them out later.

Hufflepuff gains four or five new first years before the feast begins, empty plates magically filling as thousands of us tuck in.

The feast goes on, loud laughing and conversations ringing throughout the hall as everyone enjoys the return. Eventually, the food is gone, and Dumbledore steps up the podium with an announcement. After explaining Filch had added to the banned items list, forbidding entry to the Forbidden Forest and cancelling the Quidditch Cup (to uproars everywhere), he begins what he calls his main announcement.

❤💛❤💛

Here we gooooooooooo!

Hope you're enjoying 😊.

Also, please don't skip chapters! More Hermione content is upcoming but Brinley has other aspects to her life, e.g her friends, family, quidditch, past, etc. You'll miss lots of things if you skip!