The Yule Ball

A few people glance at us when we enter, looking away, before their heads quickly snap back. People nudge their friends until the majority of the hall is looking at us.

More nervous than ever, we ignore the stares and go over to the sides with everyone else, talking and blocking them out. It takes a few minutes, but eventually everyone looses interest and the tension in my shoulders releases as their eyes move away.

The only people still staring in surprise are Harry and Ron. But not for long, as the champions dance begins. Cedric, Cho, Fleur, Roger, Harry, Pavarti, Krum and his date (a Beauxbaton girl) take to the floor, swirling in time to the music. Even though Harry occasionally glances at Cho, and Krum at Hermione, their dates still seem to be having a good time.

For a while, people eat and drink before the dance floor is opened up to everyone, the champions demounting from the large table up front.

Hermione and I start to dance, attracting a few more stares. They stop when they realise we're just dancing like all the other couples.

A song comes on that's much more lively than the others, and Hermione spins me around and out with a laugh. Smiling, we finish the song and sit off with a few others, out of breath. Ron sits down next to us with Padma.

"Why did you tell us you had a date?" He questions Hermione, rather accusingly.

"What?" She turns to him baffled.

"I asked you and you said you had a date, but now you're here with a friend!"

Part of me wants to laugh, part of me is slightly angry on her behalf.

"Brinley's my date you dimwit."

"I know that, I mean like a date date for- oh!" His eyes pop comically and he looks between us, "Oh! Oh... oh. Sorry 'Mione, I... I didn't know."

"It's fine Ron. Just... don't worry, it's fine." She gives him a strained smile which he returns before talking to Padma. The two of us get up and dance again, seeing Harry and Pavarti sit with them. However, Pavarti and Padma leave to dance with a few Beauxbaton boys.

"Well... it could've gone worse." I say as we dance.

"That's true... It's ok, honestly, it'll just take some getting used to. I don't mind." She smiles down at me as we sway to the music.

It takes us a moment to realise a boy in the year above us is staring creepily with a weird kind of smile. He then whistles, about to walk over to us. However, Professor McGonagall cuts him in his path.

"No whistling Mr Harvis, over there now, go on."

"I'm sort of thirsty, I'll be back in a moment."

"Don't worry, I'll go grab us some drinks." I say, hurrying to the drink table and leaving Hermione on the side of the dance floor.

I quickly return, only to see a Durmstrang boy talking to her.

"Dance vith me?" He offers. She politely declines.

"Vis date oz yourz... it's hardly vespectable. Vis vould not be tolerated at Durmstrang."

However, he's quickly scared off by Krum.

"Don't listen... he's right but vats no excuse to talk to lady like that." The player smiles, but Hermione doesn't. I rush back over, handing her a drink.

"Dance?" Krum offers, despite me being right there. Hermione laces her fingers in mine, shaking her head.

"Sorry Viktor, but I'm with my date now."