chapter 21: Past and present

V a n e s s a

It was 12:30, just the time for me to head out for my lunch date with Ian. There was this nervous knot in my stomach, developed from the fact that I had abandoned all the red flags I had in mind and decided to dive in with Ian.
And although the first date was good, the conversation flowed and we had planned for today, I was still incredibly nervous about meeting him again.

I released a sigh and headed to the bathroom to freshen up a bit, wash my face, apply a little powder to improve my appearance. I stared at myself in the mirror, wondering if my tailored pants and a long-sleeved white shirt would even be appropriate for a date. But surely he'd understand that I was working. Of course, he would.

Clearing my throat, I pulled the band from my hair and allowed my hair to fall loosely down my back. Compared to the other day with fully donned makeup and fancy clothes, this was a stark contrast.

Nevertheless, I left the bathroom, grabbed my purse and headed to my car. I sent a text off to Ian to let him know I was on my way.
The entire drive to the diner was spent with me overthinking about things I already thought about the prior night. There was no escaping the fear and caution in my head when it came on to Ian, no matter how hard I tried.

Still, I had to give myself a little credit for not actually running away and claiming myself mad. I was throwing caution to the wind and taking the biggest risk of my life.

I arrived at the diner and parked, thankful there weren't many people around and inside– from what the huge transparent windows suggested. Taking a keener look, I spotted Ian on the inside, seated at a window seat. His gaze immediately shifted outside to my car while he stared curiously.

I muttered a sigh, trying to slow my plummeting heart before I opened the door and stepped out. A smile appeared on his face as he stood and I couldn't help but smile too.

This was it...again.

I walked to the entrance, my purse clutched tightly in my hands. I paused in my tracks when he came out, standing right in front of me, that amazing smile in place, while he devoured me with his gaze.

"Hey," I said. My feet began to move and soon I found myself hugging him while he hugged me back. He withdrew a little and placed a small kiss on my cheeks, the area immediately inflamed by his touch.

"Great to see you again. You look amazing as always," he was saying.

I scoffed at the compliment. "Please, you're too kind."

"I'm being serious, you look amazing. Absolutely flawless." There was just something about the way he said it that had the breath stuck in my throat and my eyes glued to his lips. He was serious in his words, his lips had done the talking but his eyes gave truth to it.

He had that lustful look that had been so evident back in Las Vegas and every single time after. That look made me feel all fluttery inside, ready to do the worse.

I cleared my throat, ignoring the sexual tension that had developed within seconds. "Er- let's go in," I said, sidestepping him and entering the small, remote building.

There were a few people inside and they hadn't bothered to look to see who came in. Everyone seemed to be minding their own business and I was pleased with that.

We took a seat where Ian had earlier sat, both of us at opposite ends.

"So how's your day going?" I asked, wondering if that was the correct way to start off the date. I'd only ever dated a few men in my lifetime and none made me feel as nervous as Ian did.