chapter 3: Take a break

V a n e s s a

By Wednesday I was packing with a looming uncertainty, but I knew I needed the break I once said I didn't need. I told Carrie and she said she'd be there by midday to bring me to the airport. It was 10 am.

I called my mom and she had argued against it but after hearing my sorrows she too was convinced I needed the break. There weren't many more people I needed to tell, the three most important people in my life knew; Carrie my mom, and my dad. My employees were only told I was taking some days off.

I zipped my suitcase and sighed, deciding it was time to take a shower and leave the wretched place. If this vacation put me in the mindset I needed to be in then I would maybe go in search of a new apartment and leave this one behind. I had spent so much time on it, especially when Blake and I had agreed it was the one. I had hired a designer and she had made it into the perfect home; Homey with a modern businesslike touch that I very much liked. But I maybe had to let it all go in order to move on.

I was downstairs with my suitcase when Carrie arrived with a beaming smile on her small face. We've known each other from elementary school and the relationship never got tired. When everyone left, Carrie Strasse stayed.

I put my baggage in the back and joined Carrie at the front, releasing a sigh while we shared a glance.

"This is it, Nessa," she said, both hands planted on the steering wheel while she waited for me to confirm that I was absolutely sure this was what I wanted to do.

"Yeah, I'm ready," I said, she nodded and we drove off from the apartment complex.

There was a little silence as we drove, Carrie focused on the road and as always, I sat staring out the window thinking about my life and my premature decision.

"So you're going to Vegas, do you plan on going to some casino or...?" Carrie asked.

"I don't even know. I might just stay in my room and not go anywhere, but it's Vegas so there's a high chance I might."

Carrie was smiling. "I can't believe you chose Las Vegas of all places. Why not some nice resort with great spa's and a beachside?"

I shrugged. "Maybe the temptations will force me to loosen up a little. Blake basically said I was no fun; I want to have a little."

"Blake is a little piece of shit who doesn't know what he's talking about. You shouldn't listen to him," she exclaimed passionately.

I smiled. "That may be true but he may be right also. I always lived my life being the good little girl who always wanted to please people. Maybe for once in my life, I can live a little risque."

"Well I'm all for that but just be careful."

"That's the thing, I always am."

Silence intervened for some seconds before Carrie broke it again.

"Did you tell your mom you're going to Las Vegas?" she asked.

I pulled in a breath. "No she thinks I'm going to some fancy little resort," I couldn't help my smile even though deep down I was riddled with guilt seeing that this might be the first lie I've told my mom in a long time.

Carrie chuckled. "I hope you plan on keeping it a secret forever."

"I do."

She laughed and I grinned.

.......

An hour later, Carrie was dropping me off but said she'd stay until I boarded the flight. We sat in the crowded airport, waiting while Carrie ate away at a chocolate bar. I was just nervous - a knot had formed in my stomach and it was telling me to run! Go home!

But I sat still until I was actually ready and was hugging Carrie goodbye. She was smiling like a proud little mom when I left the waiting area and boarded the plane.

This was it.

.......

Las Vegas was all that the movies made it out to be. There were a lot of lights and a lot of places for leisure. After a long flight, I just wanted to sleep so I took a taxi and it dropped me off at the hotel I was staying in. It was the best in the city and I thought I deserved the best in a city like this. The reviews were dashing and as the door automatically opened for me, I immediately saw why it was rated among the best.

I hadn't gone far but the lobby was intricately styled with elegant furniture while the marble floor glistened beneath my feet. I made my way to the front desk and I was greeted with a lovely smile.

After great customer service and the handing of my room card, I was in an elevator making my way up to my room.

The room was more than I expected with air conditioning that was perfect for my sweaty body. I walked on soft gray carpet, past the bathroom, and into the bedroom which was big, spacious, and very clean. The queen size bed was adorned with grey and white covers with pillows covering the top quarter.

I immediately went and plopped down in it, closing my eyes for a brief second before I opened it to admire the ceiling fan that was right above.

When I was done appreciating what I thought was exactly my money's worth, I took a bath, leaving the standing shower for another time. They had all the essential oils and even my favorite body wash which I found surprising.

I was in there for about half an hour, fully relaxed when I got out and decided to have a nap. But as soon as I drew back the comforter Blake invaded my mind. The fact that he was in love with someone else - was cheating on me for quite a while - hurt me to a degree that only I understood.

He had been so cold about it too, so stern that it made it quite obvious that he was no longer in love with me. And even if he had gone through with the wedding, he would still be seeing his new woman while I would remain in the dark.

The thought of that was stomach-churning and as I laid in my Vegas King-sized bed, I couldn't help but think he was good riddance and a kind of toxic I couldn't carry around for much longer.