chapter 10: Family or foe?

I a n

"Everyone calm down!" Spencer roared when everyone seemed to be more out of control. "I'm not finished and I will gladly walk out of this room if my words are not met with silence."

I raised a brow, impressed by Spencer and his disciplinary tone. Gregory had told me that he and Spencer had been friends since college and they'd been like brothers. And yet, being the woman Diane was, I didn't think she'd take well to being yelled at.

The room stilled but the tension was tangible, I could almost see the heat fuming from their bodies. This wasn't going to lead to a civilized end and I was mentally amping up my defenses.

Spencer cleared his throat. "Also, the newly built mansion is also to be his if he chooses.." And once again an eruption of noises clouded the room.

"This is bullshit, I'm out of here!" Danny exclaimed as he got up with George in tow.

Diane and Dylan were left. Diane who was sizzling but was still perhaps hopeful that she was to be left with something worth her while.

Spencer further went on to say that all of my father's finances from his bank accounts were to be split equally among us children and his wife Diane. The rest were frivolities I had no care for but figured I'd stay out of respect for Spencer and my father's wishes.

When everything was finalized, Diane hastily got up and fled from the room, leaving me spencer and Dylan. Dylan turned to me.

"Well I'm glad you're here despite the circumstances in which we've met. I hope we can build a good relationship regardless of the many obstacles we will face henceforth, " he smiled. "I'd also like to get to know you more and would like to organize small lunches if you do agree."

I chuckled. This kid was remarkable but was too scripted and poised, I welcomed his offer nonetheless. "I'd like that very much."

His face beamed with merriment, his cheeks blossoming to a deep red. "Well - uh, if you're not busy after this, there's this nice lounge in town that I think you'd like."

I scratched my head and my father's words suddenly came rushing back. He had visited about two weeks before he died and though he had been in poor health, he had a strong mouth and had spoken...

"Danny and George are much alike. Danny is George's role model and they will never break their bond for anyone else. They are selfish and will go to the ends of the earth to get what they deserve. They are bright boys but aren't level-headed, that's why I won't be leaving the company to any of them. Dylan is my baby and he is soft. He tries to fit in but are often times excluded from groups. He's quite the honour student and is mature but he needs more guidance - One that I won't live long enough to give so I'm leaving you to watch over him. I just know he'll love you as much as I do."

Strayed from my thoughts and back to reality, I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let's go right now."

He grinned and a line of pearly whites presented themselves. "I'll just go grab my phone. I'll be back in a minute, " he said and ran upstairs.

Spencer entered the room with a polite smile on his face. "It's nice seeing you again Ian. I trust you will make Gregory proud, " he said, patting me on the shoulder before he left.

I glanced at my watch, realizing I had some time on my hands and didn't have to rush things.

Diane entered the room and I immediately wished I hadn't agreed to Dylan's lunch invite.

"Well, I don't know how you manipulated Gregory into giving you what was meant for his real family but I can tell you this, this is not a battle you want to fight, " she exclaimed sourly.