chapter 18: Date night

I a n

I glanced at my watch with my mind half thinking Vanessa had stood me up and half thinking she was running late like most women.

It was ten past eight and there was no sign of her. We lived in the same apartment, she wasn't coming from far so what was the holdup?

A strained laugh left my lips at the realization that I was nervous – actually nervous, which was a feeling I hadn't felt towards a woman in years.

I blew out a breath and hoped I wasn't being stood up – That was usually my thing, although with Vanessa I realized most things were different – she was unlike any other woman I had dated.

Impatient, I pulled out my phone to give her a call but I paused when an elevator door opened and someone stepped out.

My mouth slowly dropped open and I didn't care if a bit of drool fell with it. Vanessa approached, as soon as she saw me a shy smile played on her peachy lips. She looked beautiful in a dress that could make a man think the most sinful things. It hugged her body in a way that made me envision doing the same. There was not much cleavage but her shoulders were bare and ivory skin was exposed. Her waist was incredibly small, above hips that flared sinfully. Her slender body was a sight for sore eyes and every second of looking reminded me that I had explored every inch and was eager for a delicious repeat.

She came and stood before me – beauty magnified. "Hey, sorry I'm late."

     "You look absolutely stunning, " I regarded, ignoring the apology. I understood why she was late, she had put an effort into looking great, not that it was a hard task considering her natural beauty.

She smiled. "Thank you, " giving me a brief once over. "You don't look bad yourself."

  I scoffed, thinking my black pants and plain sky blue shirt rolled up to the elbows wasn't much of a dress-up. "I feel like a homeless person beside you."

    "Please."

I smiled. "Well, let's go princess, your carriage awaits." She laughed as we both left the lobby and headed to the parking lot.

I opened the front door to my car, watched as Vanessa got in before I hopped around the other side to get in the driver's seat. She was all buckled up and as soon as I drove off her perfume caught my nostrils my storm. It was the same flowery vanilla smell that she wore in Las Vegas that had been distinct on her neck while I had licked and suckled the area. The sweet smell brought back memories I was hoping to re-live sometime soon.

      "So where are we headed?" She asked and at that moment I was reminded that my unceremonious thoughts weren't exactly appropriate at this time.

       "You'll see when we get there, " I said as I started the car.

        "I'm not really a fan of surprises, " she asserted firmly.

I figured as much. "Trust me, it's completely harmless," I assured her.

She managed a smile and stared ahead while I stole glances her way.

We drove in silence for some time until I arrived on traffic ahead. My forehead wrinkled. "I'm fairly new to LA but I've never seen traffic in these parts. What do you figure, " I asked, glancing at Vanessa.

     "Yeah it's a bit strange, maybe something happened – an accident maybe. That's usually the case."

I muttered a curse under my breath, hoping that wasn't the case. "Hopefully it clears soon."

  "Yeah."

We sat there for minutes until I was convinced something was in fact wrong. What a fking time!