Chapter 23: The penthouse

V a n e s s a

Once in my apartment, I released a breath and kicked off my shoes, simultaneously pulling my phone from my pocket. I walked to the kitchen and dialed Carrie's number, leaning against the counter.

"Hey, what's up?" She answered.

"I just agreed to go to Ian's place," I blurted, obviously wanting her advice.

"Wait, how? When?" She asked eagerly.

"I er– I met him in the parking lot and it just kinda happened. What should I expect?"

She laughed. "You're the one dating him Nessa."

I rolled my eyes with a huff. "We're definitely going to have sex if I go over to his place but I want to know what's up with him since I saw him with a bruised face. For all I know he went into some bar and got into a fight. I don't think I know enough about him," I sputtered sporadically.

Carrie snorted. "Why are you always overthinking everything? Maybe some sex is exactly what you need to lose some of that tension."

I sighed. "I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to take a quick shower."

"Yes, have some fun. It's about time!" She laughed and I couldn't help but smile.

"Okay, talk to you soon."

"Ok bye. Love you."

"Love you."

I hung up and leaned on the counter in thought, wondering if I should be a little extra and surprise him with some lingerie or–

Did I even own a lingerie?

No I didn't.

What was wrong with me? I was feeling nervous for nothing. Why was I nervous? Ian and I already had sex a couple of times and although at the time we didn't plan on seeing each other again, it still happened. He knew my body and I knew his. I wanted him and he wanted me.

I licked my lips, happy with the little pep talk I had with myself and headed for the shower. I didn't want the whole process to be long because then it would seem like I was actually putting in an effort for something.

...

I stared at myself in the pair of black leggings and loose fitted sweater, thinking it was suitable for just a house visit. I had no makeup on and my hair was loose; I was satisfied with the look and decided to head over.

I was granted access to his penthouse, taking in deep breaths in the elevator as it took me up. It wasn't a long ride and soon I was face to face with Ian's luxurious apartment that had my mouth hanging with shock. He came from around a corner, smiling, dressed in a t-shirt and sweatpants.

"You came," he mused, smiling as he approached.

"Yeah, nice place," I said, as I accepted the kiss he offered on my cheek.

"Thanks. Come, have a seat and make yourself comfortable. Would you like anything to drink? I have wine, orange juice, soda... you name it."

"Ah – wine sounds good," I said and he smiled.

"Perfect choice."

I took a seat on his sofa and got myself comfortable while Ian moved towards the kitchen which was open concept and on full display from where I sat. In no time, he was moving towards me with two glasses of red wine in hand.

"Thank you," I said when he offered me a glance and sat beside me. I couldn't help my curiosity as I stared at the small bruise on his face. "So what happened to your face?"