chapter 17: Moving out and moving on

V a n e s s a

That night when I got home, sleep didn't come so easily. I was still surprised Ian was a Hollingsworth and I had ran into him after my Las Vegas adventure.

Not to mention the kiss we had shared - so endearing and passionate it left my knees weak and my brain mushy. He elicited such a fire within me that still burned bright hours later. I could still almost taste him on my lips, how soft his mouth felt, how sweet and warm. It took everything I had within me to pull away but I knew if it had gone on longer, there was not much I could have done to control myself.

I mustered a sigh and walked to the bathroom where I had a quick shower and then reached for a glass of wine. Boxes and suitcases littered the rooms and as I stood looking at them, a feeling of disbelief overcame me. Less than a month ago I had been engaged, was ready to marry the man I thought was one of my dreams, and today, I was single, moving out, and was stepping towards moving on. I was contemplating on having dinner with a man I had met in Las Vegas who was coincidentally living in the same apartment building that I was supposed to move into.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

....

Sunday morning came and Carrie was at my place by seven, ready to help me move. I prepared eggs, bacon and toast while Carrie ranted over her dinner with Ethan.

"He's so funny Nessa, I never would have thought, " she said snatching a bacon from a plate.

I was smiling. "So I take it you enjoyed your night?"

"More than I thought possible. It was perfect and I can't wait to go out with him again. He's going out of town for this week though so I'll be seeing him after, " she explained.

"I'm happy you're willing to give him a chance, " I said, stirring the eggs.

"Yeah, " she shrugged. "So tell me, how was your night?" She asked, leaning against the counter, her gaze settled on my face.

I scoffed. "Where should I start?"

"Definitely from the beginning. What happened?" She asked eagerly.

I paused and turned to her. "So remember I had to go by The Starling yesterday for the keys from Ethan?"

Carrie quickly nodded, I continued. "Guess who I bumped into."

Carrie's eyes grew wide. "Come on Nessa, spit it out already!" She prodded.

"Ian."

Carrie's mouth fell open. "Mr. Vegas?"

I nodded and she gasped. "You're joking, where?"

"At the Starling!"

"Oh my gosh, doing what? Fuçk, is he living there?"

"Apparently, he is."

Carrie placed her hand over her mouth. "O.M.G!"

"It gets even more interesting..." I teased.

"You're kidding."

"He was at the party and he is Gregory Hollingsworth's secret child."

"Shut up," Carrie said softly with so much disbelief in her tone. "Oh my gosh, this is unbelievable! Gregory Hollingsworth had a secret child? I need to take a seat, " she exclaimed dramatically while proceeding to move towards a chair.

She sat, looking up at me. "All this happened last night. You knew all this last night?"

"Yes."