~Chapter 19~

Silence.

That was the only thing surrounding the waiting room. Aside from the light sniffles from Crystal and the tapping of Naila's heel against the floor, but other than that—utter silence. There was not much that could be said after Crystal broke the news. All they could do was wait...

Michael had already called his parents to tell them what happened and that he was staying by Naila and Crystal's side. They sent their prayers and told Michael he'd eventually have to go home. He didn't care though because he was sticking to his word.

"Michael?" Naila calls, reaching for his hand in which he quickly grabs—letting her know he was listening. "Go home."

"Now what kind of boyfriend and little brother would I be if I did that?" Michael scoffs, "I'm staying right here until your grandma Rose walks out of this hospital. Okay?"

Though Naila didn't want to, she couldn't help the slight smile that crept onto her face. It was a natural reaction, just like the smile that made its way on his face seeing her smile. "Ok."

Michael kisses the back of her hand and leans back in his chair to get some quick shut eye. But, that was short-lived as the sound of a male voice clears his throat grabbing all three of their attention.

"How's she doing? Can we see her?" Crystal questions frantically, the first jumping up from the seat. "Dr..." she quickly scans his laminated name tag, "Winston."

"She is not doing very well, unfortunately. A fighter she is though and she's asking to see the both of you," Dr. Winston says, stepping to the side. "Room 205."

Michael grabs ahold of Naila's hand pulling her back from proceeding forward. "I'll be right out here when you come back out okay?" The frown on her face told him her coming question. "I want to give you guys your space baby, but I promise I'm not going anywhere."

Naila doesn't say a word, only nods and Michael places a quick peck on her lips. "She'll be okay."

Crystal grabs her hand, musters up a somber reassuring smile to Michael, then begins her pursuit to the room. The silence was thick between the two which made the walk feel like eternity. They both held on tightly to each other's hand as if their joint hands would fix everything.

"205," Crystal reads, letting a deep shaky breath get caught into thin air.

Without second thought Crystal snatches the door open seeing her grandfather tend to her grandmother. The minute he moves to the side her eyes land on her grandmother and she winces at the sight.

She was pale, her skin reflecting the color of the white sheet covering her body. As they took steps closer to her, Crystal could see her frail hands quickly making their way under the sheet away from anyone's view.

"Crystal don't look at me like that," Rosalina pleads, now staring at her granddaughter's renewed tear-stained face.

"Just a month ago you were fine," Crystal says through clinched teeth to hold back her sob. "What happened?"

While Crystal and their grandmother began having their own conversation, Naila went into another realm. Everything seemed so surreal to her in this moment. From the day she lost her parents and her sight to this exact moment.

What did I do wrong to deserve this life? How did I get to this point? Is the hurt, pain, and suffering ever going to end?

"Naila do you want to sit sweetie?" Rosalina calls to her.

"No. I don't want to sit." Naila snaps, raising her voice. "But, I do want to know something. Why didn't you tell me?"

Rosalina grimaces at the sharpness in her tone. This was not the first time she'd heard Naila speak like this but having it directed at her was like a knife to the chest.