~Chapter 8~

1 year later

"Naila Renee Johnson, if you don't wake up right no—"

"Alright Crys I'm up, I'm up. Why are you even waking me up right now? What time is it Crystal Love Johnson? Plus it's Saturday and..." Naila continues to ramble tiredly, while Crystal just stares at her sister with a smirk upon her face.

"You are so lucky I didn't get the water to wake you up Naila." That alone was enough to make Naila jump from the bed and quickly grab her cane that was sitting on the side. "That's what I thought."

"Crys seriously... why am I up?" Naila groans in annoyance.

"What do you mean silly? It's your first day of senior year. How could you forget?"

Senior year? Naila thought. So that means this is my last year being in that hell hole and then I'm gone for good!

Naila stood up with a fresh new attitude, ready to conquer today and the rest of the 179 days that come with school. In her head, this year would be much better than last year, now that she had a new friend she befriended in the middle of her junior year by the name of Sierra.

"Someone seems excited to be going to school now. That's good because you have twenty minutes to get ready." Crystal says before making her way to the door. "Your outfit is on your dresser—"

"Please tell me I'm going to be looking good on my last first day of school Crys."

Crystal scoffs and playfully gasps. "I am deeply offended Renee. Do you know who your sister is? One of FIT's most prized students. You better recognize little sis."

"Please... don't remind me," Naila sighs, knowing she would be getting an earful.

"Good I'm glad I don't have to remind you because you should already know. Now, if you should know, you'll be wearing one of your Harvard graphic tees, some light wash skinny jeans with rips in them, and your white Vans."

"I still can't believe it," Naila mumbles.

"Little girl you better not be mumbling about my choice of outfit because it's actually really cute."

"No I didn't mumble about that Crys. I was saying I can't believe I got into Harvard."

"And on a full academic scholarship," Crystal smiles, approaching Naila to embrace her. "Little sis I am so proud of you, you haven't the slightest of clues."

Hearing those words 'I am so proud of you' brought tears of joy to Naila's eyes. Being that Crystal was like a parent to Naila, to Naila it was as if her parent was saying it. That meant the world to her.

"Nai don't get all emotional on me now... I just finished up my makeup not too long ago," Crystal giggles, wiping a few tears that had freely escaped her eyes.

"You're the one that had to go all 'I am so proud of you' on me and that means a lot to me."

"I know, I just—girl just get ready for school I don't want you to be late!"

"Yes ma'am." Naila finds her way into the bathroom, doing the main things she needs to do.

After getting dressed and putting her hair in two braids, she was ready for school.

"I still can't believe you can put your hair in two braids girl," Crystal says, setting Naila's plate down on the counter and helping her into the chair.

"Being blind doesn't stop my sense of repetition and memorization."

"I know but even the middle part is to perfection and they look very neat," Crystal states, continuing to eye Naila's work.